Home / Alpharetta / Battling lupus: Student starts Roswell support group

Battling lupus: Student starts Roswell support group

By Georgina Villani

When Katie Jacobs was diagnosed with Lupus in 2010, she thought she was given a death sentence.

Jacobs had few resources, no support from her family and little knowledge about the disease.

“When I was diagnosed, the first call I made was to the Lupus Foundation of America,” said Jacobs. She recalled going to her first meeting days after she was diagnosed. “I met people just like me who helped me through the rough times and taught me how to speak to my doctors and the right questions to ask,” notes Jacobs.

When Jacobs’ partner decided to move from their home in Texas to Roswell,GA she lost her support group. She attempted to find one in Georgia and in the beginning was unsuccessful. They were too far away from her new home.
She couldn’t imagine not having the support she had in Texas.

Jacobs decided to start her own support group in Roswell, Ga. She contacted the Lupus Foundation of America once more and became a trained operator.

“If I can reach out and be that person for just one individual then I have made a difference. That is why I started this group.”

The support group Katie started in Roswell, GA  had its first meeting on September 15. The group meets the third Saturday of every month from 1-3 p.m. at the Roswell Adult Recreation Center, 830 Grimes Bridge Rd, Roswell, GA 30075.
If you would like to participate or have any questions, you can email Katie at lupusgroup4roswell@gmail.com or call 214-597-9049.

More information about Lupus can be found at Lupusga.org.