Home / Clarkston / Inky fingers: 600 copies of student newspaper taken

Inky fingers: 600 copies of student newspaper taken

By Alan Simpson

[iframe width=”480″ height=”360″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/rgcaANU3DkU” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen]

Nearly 600 copies of the Sept. 26 issue of the Collegian were stolen from Clarkston campus the evening of Sept. 26.

Cameras in Clarkston’s student center recorded the theft of almost 400 newspapers from the rack by the Campus Cafe, perpetrated by four unknown females.

Another 200 newspapers were taken from the rack in C-building.

“This is a new one to us,” said Lieutenant Terry Payne, who oversees public safety on Clarkston campus.

In the video provided by GPC public safety, a group of four females can be seen approaching the Collegian newspaper rack. One takes the lead, seizing the approximately 200 papers from the top shelf of the rack as the other three observe. Then a second female follows suit, lifting all but a few copies from the second shelf.

“We haven’t found any leads,” said Payne. He said he believes one of the females appears to be an adult and possibly a GPC student, but added, “It looks like the other three are juveniles.”

Public safety issued an advisory to faculty and staff to be on the lookout for the group.

David Schick, editor in chief of the Collegian, calculated the damages at roughly $77 based on print costs.

“This is crazy,” said Jermaine Felder, the GPC police officer writing the report. With the motive unknown, public safety is writing a general information report rather than a theft report.

The Collegian and GPC Public Safety are currently investigating the matter. Please report any tips or leads to the Collegian at (678) 891 – 3382 or Public Safety at (678) 891-3657.

Article by the Student Press Law Center

Library facelift at GPC Clarkston

The construction work going on around the GPC Clarkston campus caused much chagrin to many …

• Hailie

maybe they were moving? >_>

• just sayin’

Any possibility the folks in the video were family and/or friends of a student featured in that issue of The Collegian? Could the group have been proud of someone featured in the issue and have taken the papers to show off the issue?

• Nope. No students were featured in that paper.

And, how many papers does one person (or even four for that matter) need to take to show off? 10? 20? 30? 40? 50?

Not 600.

• P. Minor

You only need one copy for posterity kids!