Home / Decatur / Students foil Decatur strong arm robbery

Students foil Decatur strong arm robbery

By Alan Simpson

[iframe width=”480″ height=”360″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/jY9mudTNr0k” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen]

Three GPC students thwarted a strong arm robbery attempt in Decatur’s B-building on Aug. 22, chasing off a potential thief who assaulted Melissa Monsanto

Johnny Williams, Terrance Williams and Khamarris Washington were sitting in class when they heard a scream in the hallway. Through the open classroom door, they saw Monsanto struggling with her assailant.

“All three of us just jumped out of our seats,” said Johnny Williams.

The suspect fled the scene and was not apprehended despite a search by GPC public safety and DeKalb police.

The entire incident was captured by a campus security camera.

Nicolas Marinelli, director of public safety, showed the video to the Student Government Association at the college wide meeting in Decatur on Sept. 28.

“I want you to see it, feel it,” said Marinelli before presenting the video. “I just want to heighten everyone’s awareness in this room.”

When the three heroes appeared in the video, the room erupted in applause.

Marinelli and Rob Watts, GPC interim president, presented the three with certificates of appreciation after showing the video.

“I’m so glad I got to say ‘thank you’ in front of the Student Government Association,” said Marinelli.

The students said they never had any doubt about their course of action.

“It was just on instinct,” said Terrance Williams.

Johnny Williams, who slipped during the chase, said he was disappointed he did not catch the perpetrator.

“I hate a thief,” said Johnny Williams.

GPC Decatur Garden, Photo by Sammy Lyons.

Decatur Garden serves students and community

The community garden on the Decatur campus is a positive place that can help the …