Home / Decatur / Art with Children at Heart

Art with Children at Heart

Perry Standridge & Ashley Montia

The GPC Decatur Campus 2D Art class decided to host a seven week Art Program with Egleston Children’s Hospital at Emory University that aides in teaching kids art.
This program, started Sept 20, was inspired by Phillip Mosier, an art instructor at Decatur Campus, wanting his students to give back to the community through art. “Whether the art is for therapy or for emotion, I let the students teach and help the patients make art.”
“This environment that we create for studio art students at Decatur Campus is one that allows each student the possibility and the potential to fluctuate within the context of the realm of where they already put themselves.”

The whole idea of this program is to give his students an understanding of not taking things for granted. That not only to appreciate what we have in life, but to share what we have to give to others.
“So that they can grow as a person, because that growth and that processing of that way in which each one of us live our life, will ultimately come back to all of us in life!” Mosier said expressing himself about his goal for his students, how he wants them to reach that goal, and how he wants them to obtain it.
Mosier and his 2D art students meet every Thursday at Egleston Children’s Hospital at Emory University teaching art to kids. The kids are not only put in a learning environment but they are set in an environment where they can be a kid.

“Everything I do in all my classes is enabling my students to process and come out with something they understand for themselves that is greater and more than they think they already know.”
The students have been going on this program for three weeks now, helping the patients express themselves through different forms of art like painting, origami, drawing, abstract art, and crafts.

“It’s a general positive experience and it allows in a unique way, for education to develop. It’s a chance for all students participating to open themselves to new things, new experiences in a different setting than they would be used to” said Tony Cintron, one of the art students who leads the program alongside with Mr. Mosier.

“We’re not just building relationships with the kids that are there, we’re building relationships with the patients. They’re more than just people at a hospital they have lives outside of that place. It’s important for us to make them feel welcome, so that they know we generally care about them. Some of the kids we may not see the next week, but it’s really great to know that you might have impacted their lives that day” said Kelsey Dees, another art student who also helps lead the program.

The main goal of this program set by Mr. Mosier is for his students to evolve further as artists from where they are, and to be a positive role model to the younger generation.
Another more recent program Mr. Mosier has done with his previous art students, is that last year, he got in touch with WABE 90.1 FM and had them broadcast his students artwork that was hidden in the community. The first person that could find that artwork, from looking at WABE’s website, could have that artwork.
Mr. Mosier hopes that his students will learn about celebrating the small things in life, to cherish every moment that we have, and to share that with everyone. That life is not just about living, it’s about leaving an impression on someones life, and that’s the goal for his art students. “People all ages young and old don’t appreciate what they have like they should and we all take what we have for granted. And when you go to a place like Egleston Children’s Hospital, you see right away that there a lot of children especially in that environment that don’t. And hopefully what that does for the students and everybody that is participating, humbles us in a way that not only we can appreciate what we have and value what we have, but share what we have with others…because that’s what life is about, and for me that is what art’s about.”

GPC Decatur Garden, Photo by Sammy Lyons.

Decatur Garden serves students and community

The community garden on the Decatur campus is a positive place that can help the …