Home / College Wide / Jaguars take the first win of the season

Jaguars take the first win of the season

By Milly Beccera

On January 5, the Jaguars took the victory in their first game of the year against local rival team Atlanta Metro College with a 64-63 win against the Trailblazers.

This was the third season in a row that the GPC Jaguars faced Atlanta Metro in the Trailblazer’s gym and have taken the win every time. With the help of Julian Reese’s 3-pointer in the final minutes, the Jaguars managed to pull the win at the end bringing them to their fourth straight victory in this season. The Jaguars are 9-5 overall and 3-1 in the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association.

Travien Geter led with 11 scored points, followed by Reese who ended with 10 points, and Junious Prowell with nine points and four steals for the Jaguars.

Atlanta Metro, who is 3-12 and 2-5, was led throughout the night by Saiquan Terry who was the lead scorer with 25 points. The first half was a struggle for the Jaguars as they fell behind 18-17. By intermission AMC continued in the lead with a score of 30-25

The Trailblazers maintained the lead with up to 12 points early in the second half, but everything shifted as Geter went in for the shot with the assistance of Caleb Hayes.

Alek Milosavljevic’s shot, with the help of Reese, brought the Jaguars up cutting the lead 49-43. Terry’s attempt to stop the Jaguars got him to score two awesome 3 pointers in the following 4 minutes, but Hayes put the Jaguars back ahead 59-58 on a long 3-pointer with just 2 minutes remaining on the clock.

Reese followed after with a field goal, and then later as the last minute ticked, he went in for his highlight 3 pointer to give GPC their 64-60 lead.
As the clock marked the last 17 seconds, Terry dropped in three foul shots, cutting the gap to one, but GPC managed to keep Terry away for the final seconds and the Trailblazers failed to get any good shots before the buzzer.

“We played hard defense the second half” said head coach Barney. “We were a little rusty in the first half”. Since the winter break, the Jaguars had not played since their last game on Dec. 10th.

The Jaguars next home games are scheduled to be January 16 against Chattahoochee Tech at 7:30 p.m. followed by East Georgia College on January 19 at 3 p.m. both of which are on Decatur campus.

About Troi Charity