Home / College Wide / FrontPage / The White House on a ‘Death Star’ petition:No.

The White House on a ‘Death Star’ petition:No.

By Katherine Kerfoot

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away… (actually right here in the U.S., back in the 70’s), George Lucas created what would become a movie franchise centered around a single family and the darkness and light in the Force.

The Death Star, an armored space station the size of a small moon with the power to destroy a planet, was born. And now… Have you ever wondered how many names it takes before the White House replies to a petition? Perhaps that is what John D. of Longmont, Colorado and 34,000+ of his closest friends thought when they sent a petition to the White House requesting the construction of our very own Death Star.

In their response, the White House said the cost of constructing such a space station would be more than $850 quadrillion. Also, “the Administration does not support blowing up planets” or wish to “spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a oneman starship.”

However, the White House did want to remind the citizens how some Star Wars dreams are being fulfilled and launched into briefly describing some of the research NASA and private American companies are performing to eventually lead to R2D2 and the Millennium Falcon.

In the meantime, “the Death Star’s power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.”

P.S. The number of responses required on a petition before the White House responds has risen from

About Troi Charity