Home / College Wide / The Love for Ink

The Love for Ink

By Stormy Kage

Prehistorically, human’s used bones dipped into dye and wooden hammers to

pierce the body. These expressions, known as tattoos, were often used for therapeutic reasons. Designboom.com, the first and largest independent publication dedicated to architecture and design, mentions the 1991 finding of the 5000-year-old Iceman discovered in the mountains between Austria and Italy.

His name was Otzi and he had over 50 tattoos nearing his joints. Then, these markings were applied with the belief that it would heal arthritis. Today, most people do not walk into a tattoo parlor as an alternative to the doctor’s office.

“My tattoo is a representation of my father who passed away from colon cancer when I was 14,” said GPC student Andrea McClacken.

McClacken’s tattoo is a picture of a dove that was on a stationary card at her father’s funeral.

She is not the only one who is branded for the love of a parent. GPC student, Danny Smith said he calls himself a “mama’s boy.”

“Her name is Marilyn. I got her name on my chest,” said Smith.

Although some get tattoos to demonstrate admiration for a person, others may demonstrate admiration for a thing.

GPC student, Jamie Wheeler plans to get a tattoo based off one of her favorite video games, “Assassins Creed.”

“I want the assassin’s symbol on my ring finger,” said Wheeler. “Because in the first game the assassins have to cut off their ring finger to get a hidden weapon.”

Then, there are those who feel they can best express themselves with phrases.

The phrase, “Everything happens for a reason,” glides down the hip of GPC student Safiya McGowan.

“This is my most special tattoo because it is a quote I live by. [People] who look at my tattoos will think I’m a free spirit.”

CBS NEWS reporter, Caitlin Johnson, revealed that 23 percent of college students and 36 percent of 18-to-29-year-olds have tattoos; leaving a number of the Generation X and Baby Boomers shaking their heads.

“My mom wouldn’t want me to get a tattoo. She would be a little disappointed because she did not raise me to mark up my body,” GPC student, Shayah Brown said.

The disapproval of permanent markings on the body by older generations may be explained by Designboom.com as a rebellion against religious beliefs. The arrival of western missionaries into the United States and the proposal of Christianity have forbidden tattoos.

Leviticus 19:28 states that one should not make any cuttings into their flesh for the dead or print any marks upon themselves.

“Some misinterpret that verse,” said GPC student, Jared Needham. “That applied years ago when demon-possessed people would cut themselves and let the blood spill on the altar. I don’t think getting a tattoo will go against my religious beliefs because so many people use it as a way to glorify God by getting crosses or bible verses.”

It is possible that many no longer find the idea of marking or piercing the body as ungodly.

However, Nyc24.org, New York’s guide to tattooing, reveals that after artist Spider Webb got arrested for tattooing porn star, Annie Sprinkle on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the 70’s, the idea started to become increasingly popular.

It appeared that everyone had tattoos.

This includes kids.

The Cobb County Sheriff ’s office arrested Chuntera Napier on Jan. 19 2012 for allowing her son, Gaquan, 10, to get a tattoo.

McClacken said she is not surprised.

“Thirty years from now, I predict kids in middle school will be getting them,” McClacken said

The tattoo trend has been steadily increasing, but some feel it will soon reach its peak.

“I don’t think it will get more popular. I could see it getting old because that’s usually how trends work,” said Smith.