Home / College Wide / Truth Behind the Ink — Ink & Dagger Tattoo professionals share their knowledge on keeping up with the latest trends and avoiding costly cover-ups and removals.

Truth Behind the Ink — Ink & Dagger Tattoo professionals share their knowledge on keeping up with the latest trends and avoiding costly cover-ups and removals.

By Ashley Oglesby

“Ink Master.” “LA Ink.” There is no shortage of influence from tattoo-focused TV shows we have to choose from.

Add to that NBA players, NFL players, rappers and rock stars, people that are viewed as role models, they all have tattoos.

“People always see designs on the internet,” said Savannah McKinney, apprentice.

She added, “Celebrities have them and they think it looks cute.”

Javier Rivera, tattoo artist, noted that the ribs are a popular trend right now.

“It used to be the lower back but the ribs have taken that place,” said Rivera.

“A lot of girls get the ribs done.”

Rivera suggested that it may have something to do with being able to hide it.

Although popular, K.S. Laguna, general manager, advised that students put more thought into where they get a tattoo on their body.

The concern is that getting a tattoo can hurt your chances of getting a job. “If your field allows for it that’s another thing,” said Laguna.

He added, “we try to make you aware of the risk involved and how it’s going to limit the rest of your life.”

Rivera advised students not to get tattoos where they cannot be covered.

“Necks, hands,.. we consider them job stoppers,” said Rivera.

The growing trend rises debate on the medical risk that is involved in the process of getting a tattoo. Nearly anyone can purchase equipment they need to become a tattoo artist.

Rivera pleaded that students not result to at-home tattoos to keep up with the trend.

“Absolutely do not do it,” said Rivera. He added that individuals conducting at-home tattoos, “have very limited knowledge, if any about cross contamination.”

McKinney stated that you will not get your money worth with an unprofessional artist.

“At least 50 percent of the people coming in here either have a cover-up or want something fixed,” said McKinney.

Laguna added, “a lot of people, especially with the popularity neglect the fact that it is a small surgical procedure.” He added, “It is not something that should take place in anyones home.”

Laguna, Rivera and McKinney are all employers of Ink & Dagger tattoo parlor. They are “committed to providing the highest quality tattoo work available. Visit them on the web at inkanddagger.com. Shop is located at 1036 West College ave. Decatur, Ga.