Home / College Wide / Starting A Club: Here is What You Should Remember

Starting A Club: Here is What You Should Remember

It’s welcome week at GPC. Leaders are rehashing the same bit of advice, “get involved” because “it looks great on your resume.”

You may feel compelled to sign up for a club or two because every mentor you’ve ever had advised that social involvement is what employers look for,. But before you go overboard — making countless commitments that are bound to overwhelm you mid-semester, check out these tips on how to find the right club.

1. Think about the things that you’re interested in.

Ask yourself, where do you see your career in the next few years? When considering which clubs to join, the smartest thing to do is to keep your major in mind. Try to find a club where you will be surrounded by like-minded, goal-oriented students.

2. Contemplate what you can gain from your experiences.

A lot of clubs can assist students in gaining experience in their potential career paths and are really great items to put on a college resume. So if you have an interest in event planning, maybe you can join the JAG Activity Group, or if you have an interest in photography, videography, writing, design and layout, consider joining The Collegian. *wink, wink* Whatever activity you decide on can play a major role getting you prepared for the types of tasks you’ll be completing once you step out into the real world.

3. Create a balance.

A common mistake among college students is trying to do too many things at once. Try your best to make time for yourself and make sure that, among the many activities you’ve decided to throw yourself into, you’re getting enough time to relax and think straight.

4. Stick to your commitments.

Once you’ve found what’s right for you, stick to it! Since the college experience is about networking and getting to know people, let people know that you’re reliable and that once you’ve made a commitment to something, you’ll follow through.

At small universities especially, getting involved and/or starting a club is advantageous but often daunting. All the trifold posters and colorful banners at the fair blend together after a few minutes. The only ones people really remember are those offering free food.

It is important to remember that your role in a club is vital to its existence.

As a leader in a small club, your efforts are visible — to you and the GPC community. Members and other leaders are counting on you. It’s a unique opportunity to leave your handprint on the organization that will remain even after you’re gone.

It’s also been noted that taking part in clubs teach you how to manage a small business. In both startups and small clubs, money will invariably be an issue. Where is it going to come from? How much do you need? These are questions that small-club leaders tackle constantly.