Home / OPINION / An Experience That Led Me Into My Future Career

An Experience That Led Me Into My Future Career

By Joy Bratcher

When I started my senior year of high school, I was absolutely determined I was going to go to the University of Georgia in the fall of 2012. Then I changed my mind to go to Emory at Oxford in Oxford, GA. I kept Georgia Perimeter College at the back of my mind as a last resort. I wasn’t so sure I wanted to go to college in my hometown and stay close to home, but then things changed.

My dad was diagnosed with cancer in October of 2008. The past four years had been a tough time for my family and me, including many different financial trials. With that being said, my priorities were different than many of my friends. I realized that maybe I wasn’t going to be able to go my “dream school” after all. I realized that it would be best if I did decide to go to GPC to not only save money, but to also be closer to my family.

This year I began my second year at GPC. During this time I have learned so much. I realized that I didn’t have to go off to school in order to get a better education, and that I had access to some of the best professors already here at GPC. I have to say, I haven’t had a bad professor or one that hasn’t given me some sort of knowledge I didn’t have before. As a journalism major, I’ve experienced some of my favorite professors at GPC. They taught me so much more about how to be a better writer.

Then there was The Collegian. I was so thankful to become a part of a great newspaper that taught me more about the world of journalism. I was quickly able to become friends with some of my colleagues and learn under some of the best fellow journalism majors. Plus, The Collegian allowed me the opportunity to get to know the police force here at GPC and decide that I want to become a crime reporter. I realize now that some of these things never would have happened if I hadn’t decided to continue my education here.

Now, I’m beginning my last semester here, and it’s bitter sweet. I can’t wait to go ahead and begin the next journey of my life at a different school in the fall. These past two years have been wonderful, but must come to a close. I will never forget everything that this school has taught me, and I will always believe that this was one of the best decisions that I’ve made for my education.