Home / FEATURES / Behind the Numbers at GPC

Behind the Numbers at GPC

By Sri Rajasekaran

When it comes to diversity in its student body, GPC stands out among other University System of Georgia institutions.

Compared with the statistics of Georgia Institute of Technology and University of Georgia, GPC is overall up to ~12 percent more diverse.

The USG’s Semester Enrollment Report for Fall 2013 shows a total of 21,123 students at Georgia Perimeter College, of which 8,647 are male and 12,476 are female. In fact the female student population has increased from last semester by 4.1 percent.

When further classified in terms of ethnic diversity among students: 41.2 percent are African American, 32.6 percent are White; 11.2 percent are Asian; 9.3 percent are Hispanic/Latino; 0.3 percent are American Indian or Alaskan Native; 0.1 percent are Hawaiian Native or other Pacific Islanders; and the rest of the 5.3 percent are of either mixed ethnic backgrounds or ethnicity unknown or undeclared.

“It feels great to be a part of this widely diverse student body,” said GPC Student Alexis Deffey. “ The best thing is that, since we have fairly small campuses compared to other colleges, I find it easier to meet and communicate with people.”