Home / College Wide / FrontPage / Campus Spotlight Newton Earth Club
Sri

Campus Spotlight Newton Earth Club

SriBy Sri Rajasekaran

Earth Club at Newton campus was founded by GPC Faculty Mary Beth Davidson and Dr. Sallie Paschal in 2012.

“I was first introduced to the Newton Campus Earth Club last semester, when Dr. Paschal asked her Calculus students to help in the organic garden and with litter pickup. It’s wonderful to be around people who genuinely care not only about the school itself, but about the world it resides in,” said GPC student and Earth Cub member Sara Jean Lane.

“Our mission is threefold: involve students, stay organic, and give the harvest to the local food bank,” said Dr. Paschal.

A plethora of recycling activities within the campus in an aim to keep the campus clean is an important part of the Earth Club. The activities of the Earth Club extend beyond the GPC premises to adopting roads for litter pick-up. The club cares for the stretch of interstate 20 that includes the Newton Country exits through a massive litter pick up every academic year. The Earth Club team also executes every year the “Rivers Alive” mission in the fall, MLK Service Day in January, and the “Great American Clean Up” in March. The grand thematic celebration of the Earth week and the conduct of Earth Day Celebration Fair are other records of the Earth Club.

If you want more information about the club contact Dr. Sallie Paschal at sarah.paschal@gpc.edu or visit their Facebook page “GPC Earth Club – Newton.”

(Photo by Sri)