Home / OPINION / Getting It Done and Never Giving Up

Getting It Done and Never Giving Up

By Ruthie Green

As a nontraditional student, I am over 50 years of age and have been out of a college setting for 30+ years. It is now eight weeks into the spring semester and if I’d known eight weeks ago what I know now, I would be ahead of the game. A few things have become crystal clear to me in the short period of time I’ve been on the GPC Clarkston Campus.

The observations I’ve made since starting classes are the importance of discipline; preparedness; paying attention; being alert; and never giving up even in the face of adversity.

These are only a few characteristics that can be a basis for a strong support system, one each student creates for themselves.

Discipline is key in meeting some of the unknown challenges you will face in college. It is doing what needs to be done, when it needs to be done. It’s what kicks in when you don’t feel like doing it and you do it anyway. With discipline you are driven to get things done, and it will keep you focused and on point.

When I arrived at Clarkston Campus, I was amazed by all of the services, programs, clubs, and workshops offered to its students. Information about everything was everywhere. In my enthusiasm about returning to school, I am eager to learn as much as possible about all things GPC.

Professors often invite speakers to classes to discuss many things from study abroad, to financial aid, to counseling. Whatever the topic, it is something that can impact you as a student. It’s always a good idea to pay attention to what they have to say. Paying attention and being alert puts you in a position to have valuable information when you might need it the most.

Preparedness is another aspect of college life not to be overlooked or downplayed because the lack of it can be your downfall. About two weeks into the spring semester I’d fallen a little behind because something happened I hadn’t anticipated. I persevered and made it through a very trying time. As difficult as it was, I did not allow it to discourage me to the point of giving up or throwing in the towel.

Whether you’re a traditional or nontraditional student these are but a few things that if embraced

Working diligently can put you ahead of the game. All you have to do is dig in, hunker down and get it done, before you know it you will have obtained what you set out for from the beginning – an Associate’s degree, and well on your way to getting your Bachelor’s degree.