Home / College Wide / FrontPage / March Madness at GPC
kamille pic

March Madness at GPC

kamille pic
“Jakoye Pinson(S) swishes a two-pointer for the Jaguars against Chatt Tech.”

By Kamille Penn

The men’s Jaguars Basketball team ended their season with a three-point loss to Chattahoochee Tech Eagles on Feb. 27. In the final intense minute of the game, the Eagles took a one point lead after a dunk, and won the game with two free throws within 10 seconds left in the game.

The Jaguars fought hard against the Eagles, but their three-point loss pushed them out of the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association Tournament(GCAA). Jaguars ended their season with an overall record of 16-14 (8-12 GCAA), and tied in eighth place in the
conference.

Coach Alfred Barney referred to the 2013-2014 basketball season as a “rollercoaster season.”

There were nine freshmen on the team this season, and whenever there is a team with majority of freshmen, it comes with
some challenges.

The team had some great wins this season, but they also had games that Coach Barney feels that the Jaguars should not have lost.

As far as next season is concerned, Coach Barney is prepared to work with and add on to the current nine freshmen that will continue on next year.

This season’s final game marked the end for three sophomores on the team. The Collegian was able to grab an interview with two out of the three sophomores, Jakoye Pinson (Guard/Forward) and Shane Henry (Forward/Center), to pick up on their season highlights and future plans.

Pinson felt disappointed about the season and thought they had some good games. He enjoyed playing with this season’s team who he described as a “great group of guys,” but he is disappointed that they fell short. Pinson is focusing on receiving his degree and graduating from GPC, but as far as basketball goes, Pinson will “see where he goes from here.”

Henry, who says he can play all positions, felt as if the season did not turn out how he would have liked and that they could have done better. As far as preparing for his next season of basketball, Henry plans on preparing himself by focusing and hitting the gym.

(March madness photo by Hope Dickson)