Home / FEATURES / Women’s Issues Get Big Attention at Georgia Perimeter College Conference
GPC-GWCIdaHarris

Women’s Issues Get Big Attention at Georgia Perimeter College Conference

GPC-GWCIdaHarris

Author: By Special to The Collegian

A doll creator, boxing enthusiast and singer-songwriter are among highlights for the 2014 Georgia Women’s Conference March 21-22 at Georgia Perimeter College’s Clarkston Campus, 555 North Indian Creek Drive, Clarkston.

The event, sponsored by the college’s Diversity Alliance, focuses on “The Female Perspective in Art, Scholarship and Politics” and provides various scholarly presentations, discussion forums and networking opportunities.

This year’s presenter line-up reflects an array of topics related to literature, women’s health, economics, transgender issues and career advancement, among others.

“Our end goal is to empower and educate everyone who joins us,” says Tiffany Del Valle, GPC’s assistant coordinator of diversity.  She emphasizes that the event is open to students and the public, as well as men and women of any age.

Friday’s schedule includes a Women in Georgia Politics panel discussion featuring several representatives from Georgia’s WIN List and Georgia Watch. In addition, creative artist and GPC graduate Ida Harris will share her passion for crafting dolls and how she uses this art form to explore facets of the female experience.

Georgia Perimeter English professor Amber Brooks will lead a session about women boxers and what inspired her to begin training for competition. She’ll link her presentation to award-winning author Joyce Carol Oates’ novel, “On Boxing”, which provides an analysis of the sport. After which, Brooks will lead attendees in a brief hands-on boxing lesson.

Friday also will include an exploration and demonstration of the spiritual, blues and protest music influences in author Natasha Trethewey’s poetry and prose.

Conference activities culminate Saturday with a luncheon performance by nationally-recognized singer, songwriter and social activist Amy Andrews, also an Agnes Scott College and Johns Hopkins University employee.

“The Georgia Women’s Conference is a celebration of women in art, politics and academia,” Del Valle says. “Students and other attendees will have access to the experience and advice of successful Georgia women, and community leaders will have a chance to reach the next generation.”

For tickets and other Georgia Women’s Conference information, visit http://bit.do/GWC2014.

###

Georgia Perimeter College, the largest state college of the University System of Georgia, serves more than 21,000 students through five campuses in metro Atlanta. For additional information, visit www.gpc.edu.

(Photo by Terrell Clark)

Contact

Kysa Daniels

Publications Specialist

Phone: 678-891-2680

Kysa.Daniels@gpc.edu