Home / FEATURES / Club Profile: Great Reading in Newton (GRIN)

Club Profile: Great Reading in Newton (GRIN)

By Sri Rajasekaran

Julie Langley founded Great Reading in Newton (GRIN) in 2008 with a mission to provide a nurturing and expressive time for students to discuss a book collectively chosen by the
club members.
“Encouraging students to read is my passion and sharing the joy of reading with students is a way to interact and make a difference beyond the classroom,” said Langley.
Students choose a book each semester and Student Life’s budget allows purchases. Each member receives the chosen title free of cost. The club meets weekly to discuss the book and other books that they are reading, have read, or want to read. They also read the GPC-Reads book choice every year.
“GPC-Reads is a college-wide program in which all GPC students are invited to read the same book and then meet the author. This year’s book is “Beyond Katrina” by Natasha Trethewey. We are reading the book this semester, but in Fall 2013, we got the opportunity to go to the book reading, discussion and signing at the Clarkston Campus,” said Langley.
Other records of GRIN include participation in club fairs, open houses and book drives.
“I love being involved in a club that is all about books. It is definitely a club meant for people who have a strong love of reading like I do,” said GRIN’s current president, Brittany Palmer.
If you want more information about the club contact Julie Langley at Julie.Langley@gpc.edu or visit their Facebook group “GRIN (Great Reading In Newton)”

About Troi Charity