Home / Dunwoody / Dunwoody Celebrates Diversity
Attendees learning about customs from around the world at the culture fest.

Dunwoody Celebrates Diversity

By Victoria Song

In celebration of GPC’s appreciation for diversity, the Dunwoody campus held its annual Culture Fest on April 3.
Displays from various countries featured artifacts and activities to engage and educate students. The display from Mexico was filled with original artifacts including handmade jewelry and handkerchiefs. The exhibit about Japan taught students how to fold origami, a paper form of art in Japan. Meanwhile, in the Korean exhibit, students engaged in a friendly game of Gong Gi, a traditional Korean game using pebbles.
“I want students to learn that Korea is more than just K-pop,” said Brittney Askew, president of Dunwoody’s Korean club. “I love the language, culture and traditions.”
While students gained information by attending each booth, the Culture Fest hosted competitions. There was a selfie contest in which the students who submitted the best photo of themselves at the festival won. Another contest, entitled “Hacky sack,” gave awards to students for playing hacky sack.
“I think the Culture Fest is really unique. I’m learning about different countries like Russia and Turkey and what their customs are,” said Mahri Batyrova, GPC student from Turkmenistan.
A passport, given to each student who entered, contained the names of the countries featured at the festival. When students got at least 12 stamps on their passports, they could enter the international food tasting room. Once inside the room, students could to indulge in a buffet-style lunch of authentic international cuisine.
“I never ate Indian food before,” said Culture Fest volunteer, Kylie Kim. “But I ate a samosa today which is from India. It was delicious.”
In the meantime, performances from various countries’ booths were held at the center stage. Volunteers from the Brazilian booth performed the country’s traditional Capaweta dance.
Students were able to learn how to waltz, and many country groups performed their traditional music. Towards the end, the final performance consisted of a fashion show with GPC students modeling their traditional clothing.
“GPC is a very diverse college with people from many different countries,” said Batyrova. “I want people to learn through this event that even though we are all from different counties, we are still the same.”

(Photo by Victoria Song)

About Troi Charity

Solar-powered picnic tables at the Dunwoody campus

Dunwoody Campus Takes a Step into the Future

Spring is just around the corner and you want to enjoy the sunshine. But you …