Home / CULTURE / Jaguars Celebrate JAG Fest 2014
GPC students playing a friendly game of laser tag in the middle of lot six at JAG Fest. Photo by Victoria Song

Jaguars Celebrate JAG Fest 2014

By Victoria Song

As students busy themselves with studying for finals, GPC offered a fun packed afternoon to relieve the pressure. On April 10, the Dunwoody campus hosted its annual

JAG Fest at a reserved parking lot. The scent of delicious food and anticipation filled the air as students who checked in were welcomed to the fun with a JAG Fest t-shirt.

“I just finished class, so I was excited when I saw the carnival activities outside,” said anthropology major, Ange Niyungeko.

Once their enrollment was verified, students were able to fill their stomachs with traditional concession stand delights such as slushies, cotton candy, nachos, funnel cakes, hot dogs, chili, french fries, and onion rings.

“Some students don’t have the money to buy food everyday, so I think it’s great that there’s so much good food here,” Niyungeko said.

As students indulged in the refreshments, DJ Boom hyped up the crowd for the activities by playing popular songs including, “#Selfie” by The Chainsmokers and “Happy” by Pharrell Williams. Students danced in the middle of the parking lot as the music tempo intensified.

“I think JAG hosts an annual festival because students are able to mingle and socialize during these events. I’m having a lot of fun while getting to know other classmates,” said Pre-med major, Robert Wilson.

The booth located in the center of parking lot six offered students “Mug Shots.” At this stand, a graphic specialist took photos of friends and designed a personalized mug with their snapshot.

Right next to the “Mug Shots” booth stood another stand offering students a friendly game of laser tag. Inflatable forts were placed throughout the center to ensure protection from opposing red and blue team laser shots.

“This is my first semester at the Dunwoody campus, and I’m really enjoying my time here. I played laser tag, got my face painted, ate a lot, and went on the zip liner, but

I’m too scared to go rock climbing,” biology student, Jasmine Alvarez said.

For action filled activities, the wrecking ball, rock climbing, obstacle course, and zip lining were located the furthest from the entry table. The wrecking ball and obstacle course allowed students to remember their childhoods as they jumped up and down barefoot on the inflatable bouncy houses.

Activity specialists were on site to help students conquer their fear of heights and to ensure their safety for the rock climbing and zip lining areas.

“I have never tried rock climbing or zip lining, so it was exciting to try them today. It would be cool to have real roller coasters next year,” Wilson said.

Solar-powered picnic tables at the Dunwoody campus

Dunwoody Campus Takes a Step into the Future

Spring is just around the corner and you want to enjoy the sunshine. But you …