Home / College Wide / FrontPage / Two GPC Students Win Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship
Quach and Tate hope to excel at Tech with the help of the scholarship.
Photo courtesy of Leita Cowart.
Quach and Tate hope to excel at Tech with the help of the scholarship. Photo courtesy of Leita Cowart.

Two GPC Students Win Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship

Photo courtesy of Leita Cowart.

By Sri Rajasekaran

Two GPC students, Matthew Joseph Tate and Trung Dinh Quach were included as this year’s national recipients of the prestigious Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship, which awards approximately 75 other community college students in the nation.

The scholarship covers a significant share of the recipient’s educational costs, including tuition, living expenses, books, and required fees for the final two to three years necessary to achieve a Bachelor’s degree.

Tate, 22, who currently is a mathematics major, primarily attends the Newton campus with a few classes on the Clarkston and Dunwoody campuses. Quach, 21, is an international student from Vietnam is a biology major and primarily attends the Clarkston Campus.

According to the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the awards vary by individual, based on the cost of tuition as well as other grants or scholarships awardees may receive. Students can receive up to $30,000 a year for three years.

Tate and Quach are the eleventh and twelfth scholars from GPC; this year they became two of the 85 students selected nationwide. Tate and Quach were informed about

their winning over the phone by GPC Interim President Robert Watts on April 8.

“After hearing the news from the President, I was walking on the cloud all day,” said Quach. “It’s just like your dream that you have been dreaming of has become true. It was the best day of my life.”

Tate is very excited for the scholarship award and says that upon hearing the news from the President, he felt a sense of relief, “because winning this scholarship meant that [he] could go to Tech.”

Both Tate and Quach are planning to transfer to Georgia Tech in Fall 2014. At Tech, Tate will be pursuing a Bachelor’s of Science in electrical engineering, while Quach

will be pursuing a Bachelor’s of Science in biochemistry.

What Will You Pay in Fall 2014?

By: Tammara Green

For most college students, receiving a degree means a self-sufficient life. GPC provides an Associate’s degree for students at a lower rate than other universities in Georgia.

According to a GPC press release in 2013 written by author Beverly James, “Georgia Perimeter College’s tuition increase is one of the lowest in the University System of Georgia, keeping a college education affordable and accessible.”

Even though GPC has one of the lowest tuition rates, we still suffered an increase of 2.5 percent. James also states, “The 2.5 percent increase means that in-state tuition for a full-time student at Georgia Perimeter will go from $1,266 to $1,298 per semester— just a $32 increase. Fees for a fulltime student will increase by $24.” We reported this in our spring 2012 Collegian edition.

This increase will continue for the 2014-2015 school year. This will be the third year for the 2.5 percent increase for 27 institutions around Georgia. Specifically for Georgia Perimeter College, tuition will go from $1,298 to $1,330 for in-state students and from $4,911 to $5,034 for out-of-state students.

According to Kathleen Foody of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chancellor Hank Huckaby said, “Ideally, we’d love to get to the point where for a couple of years we’d have no increase. We’re striving for that, but we’re not there yet.”

Students who are receiving FAFSA may still be able to attend college without any major changes.

Eboni Parker says, “I will not suffer any financial problems as long as my financial aid goes through.”

These increases may be minor, but for students who don’t receive a scholarship or grant this addition will cause them to put out more money for tuition than they planned.

To assist with the tuition increases lawmakers have approved the University System of Georgia’s FY2015 budget; all they are waiting for is Gov. Deal’s signature. This will help faculty and students transition through the recent tuition changes.

This budget will also add $56 million towards Georgia colleges and universities. USG Vice Chancellor for Fiscal Affairs John Brown states, “This is the first year since 2008 our budget has not included a reduction.” The budget will target medical education, salary raises for faculty and staff, and lowering the cost of textbooks.

Students who are studying healthcare and have aspirations to become doctors will benefit from the $2 million residency program USG wants to implement. They have a goal of providing 400 residency slots by 2021.

To lower the cost of textbooks and in return make tuition affordable USG has proposed an, “Affordable Learning Georgia” program. This $2.5 million new state funding will allow the USG’s GALILEO program to develop and launch a series of open sources causing availability for free electronic core course textbooks taught in Georgia.

This budget will also include $6.8 million for construction toward Georgia Public libraries. Tuition can be a huge barrier to receiving a degree, but with help from new funding for Georgia colleges and universities the 2.5 percent tuition increase can be easier to adjust to.