Home / College Wide / A New Semester, A New GPC
From left to right: Paul Kent, Darrell Dixon, and Chris Kent work hard to repair GPC's sidewalks.

A New Semester, A New GPC

GPC Makes Campuses Aesthetically Pleasing

From left to right: Paul Kent, Darrell Dixon, and Chris Kent work hard to repair GPC’s sidewalks. Photo by Farhin Lilywala.
Darrell Dixon shovels gravel to repair the sidewalk.
Darrell Dixon shovels gravel to repair the sidewalk. Photo by Farhin Lilywala.

By Kezia Velista

When beginning a new semester, there’s almost always something to look forward to. In this one, the five Georgia Perimeter College campuses are experiencing renovations, so you may see some unfamiliar things around school! In fact, the work has already begun!

First, all campuses are having their uneven sidewalks repaired for smoother walks to class. Then, some of the larger classrooms in the science department of the Alpharetta location are being divided into two because they are too big. This will provide extra space for new labs so more students can have access to them throughout the year. At the Dunwoody campus, students will be able to enjoy a restored courtyard behind the student center.

“I’ll definitely study outside more often once the courtyard is renovated,” industrial engineering major Fian Halim commented. “That sounds great, but I wish they were building a golf course.”

“We’ll rebuild the stairs out here and plant trees along the side for more shade,” said construction worker Bill Novak.

Their library will also have new tables, chairs, and couches because the ones they have now are looking a little shabby and needs to be renewed. Clarkston is getting its tennis court fixed up.

When asked why this was needed, Clarkston campus Dean of Student Services Matthew Robison said, “They were definitely outdated. Everything has a lifespan, and our court surpassed it.”

Both Clarkston and Decatur are getting new furniture such as granite benches in their quad areas. The two campuses also plan on experimenting with outdoor classrooms so professors can have lectures outside on days with nice weather.

These projects took extreme planning and it’s been a long time coming.

“We’ve saved enough funding to do this; our campuses really needed attention so we had to do something about it,” said Director of Facilities Planning Lewis Godwin. “These are all student oriented projects. College is important, and we want you all to feel good when you come here.”