Home / College Wide / Column: A Religion for All: Our Jaguars Deserve Cheering Fans

Column: A Religion for All: Our Jaguars Deserve Cheering Fans

By Hope Dickson

Fall means one thing: college sports. To some they could not care less, but to others it is a religion: cook-out parties, face painting, and season tickets. What does that mean for GPC with a smaller sports program?

Although GPC does not have a football team, our college has other sports that need the same amount of fans to come out and cheer them on such as: basketball, soccer, tennis, baseball, and softball.

The last couple of years alone, our Jaguars gave the GPC sports program a good name by conquering several accomplishments.

During the spring semester 2014, the Lady Tennis Jags finished third in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Tournament. This was the highest national ranking accomplishment since the Division II national championship back in 2000.

In Spring 2013, the Men’s Tennis team placed sixth in the NJCAA National Tournament.

In baseball, this past spring season ended with the Jaguars hold- ing a record of 44-14. With a great recored, they also won the Georgia College Athletic Association (GCAA) Championship against Darton State on May 10.

In fact, GPC players have racked up even more individual accomplishments in each sport.

Last season, GCAA named Men’s Basketball forward-post, Shane Henry (S) Defensive Player of the Year. He also joined the first team for the All-GCAA.

Freshman forward for the Women’s team, Abrelyn Rack- ley, joined the All-GCAA second team after overcoming an injury early in the season.

The NJCAA selected GPC’s Men’s soccer team striker Brayan Rodriguez(S) and defender Jordan Dunstan(S) to the 2013 Division 1 Men’s soccer All-American team.

GPC Women’s soccer team center defender, Alex Truitt(S), was also selected to the NJCAA Women’s soccer Division 1 All- American team for the second time.

Last season, pitcher Lyndsey Parden (S), outfielder Vanessa Buitrago (S), and infielder/catcher Morgan Howard(F) were selected to be on the 2013 All-GCAA first team.

Our Jaguars deserve a round of applause and cheering fans in the stands. So get out the face paint, start arguing with your friends, and bring out the grills. Show our sports teams just as much love and support as you would show your other favorite schools.

GPC teams need their fellow Jaguars to show how proud we are.

So I challenge you: come out this semester for any GPC game!