Home / Clarkston / Column: To Have a Vision or to Cast Off Restraint

Column: To Have a Vision or to Cast Off Restraint

By Nathan Fugate

A few years ago, I read a proverb that said, “When people lack vision, they cast off restraint.” In other words, those who have no life vision and method for achieving it will cease to be self-disciplined in life. They will merely float around in life as ghosts of who they were meant to be.

Having a life vision is not just your life dream, but also how will you achieve it and consequently walk it out. Now this proverb re- ally struck me to my core as I be- gan to ask myself the deeper questions of life. Who am I? What are my dreams? What do I want to do with my life?

It was this proverb that ultimately brought me back to col- lege after a nine year hiatus. I left college, because I had no vision for life. I wandered around trying to find myself and in many ways I tried to adopt the vision of others, which goes without saying, is a very unhealthy thing to do.

Now, I am about to turn 30 years old and can say looking back that I wish I had had someone to help me cast vision for my life. Then, I might not have taken such a long break from school.

Last spring, I started my first semester here at GPC and one my first assignments was to write a journal. The journal was to con- sist of three goals and how we were working to achieve those goals. I am happy to say that thanks to Professor Kim Clark, I not only set all three goals but also achieved them. However, I did not stop there but have now set even more life goals and have others helping me to achieve them.

Of course when you are fresh out of high school as many of you are, you are probably thinking, “I am just 18, how can I have a life vision already?” Well, you are in luck! One of the best benefits of GPC is that they have a wonderful faculty team of student advisers, personal counselors, and professors who have been in your shoes at one time or another and can give you the advice you need.

Even if you do know what you want to major in, whether you figured it out on your own or with the help of an adviser, I challenge you not to just go through the motions of going to the mandatory classes and making a passing grade but to go the extra mile. It is a competitive world out there, and one of the best ways we can succeed is by working together.

Do not do it alone! Find others with similar academic goals or career goals and work toward them together. This is more than simply just networking but actually doing it side by side.

So let us not lose vision, but rather as we start this new semester, let us remind ourselves yet again why we are here.