Home / College Wide / Changing a Piece of Art
“Nocturnal Family” by Veronica Pennix
“Nocturnal Family” by Veronica Pennix

Changing a Piece of Art

“Nocturnal Family” by Veronica Pennix
“Nocturnal Family” by Veronica Pennix

A Profile on GPC’s Creative License Literary Magazine

By: Kezia Velista

In 1992, English major Michael Alan Williams approached Dr. Rosemary Cox, a now retired English professor, with an idea to publish a college-wide literature and art magazine. She helped him as soon as possible and constructed a small group of visionaries to make what is now Creative License.

There was a contest to title said magazine and freshman Miguel Drayton won it.

“The name comes from the idea of changing a piece of art — usually for the better,” said Deborah Byrd, faculty editor-in-chief, when asked about the definition of the title. “In other words, whether students are photographers, sculptors, writers, musicians, they will work to improve their art so that when it’s submitted to Creative License (CL), it’s the best the artists can accomplish.”

Professor Byrd became involved with Creative License in the early 2000s when the magazine needed faculty assistance on the Newton campus. She started as a faculty advisor, and when the Editor-in-Chief position opened up in 2011, she chose to work on the publication on the college-wide level.

Creative License has been running for a whopping twenty-two years now, annually putting out magazines with students’ writing and visual arts. Even so, it does not appear that many current students know that Georgia Perimeter College publishes an annual literary magazine.

Biology student Menirva Nwanguma suggested that Creative License can gain more publicity through social media networks like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook fan pages.

Criminal justice major Lwanda Negoesko pointed to a flyer saying, “They should post flyers so people can see!”

When asked how to submit entries, Clarkston campus faculty advisor Shellie Welch said, “Students can fill out hard copies of the entry form (so that we have a signature for legal permission to publish their work) and send an electronic copy of their work with the form.”

Ms. Byrd added, “It is an excellent opportunity for GPC students to publish their original work.”

To access Creative License online, go to http://depts.gpc.edu/creativelicense/. On that page, the last two issues of the magazines are available by PDF file for convenient viewing.