Home / FEATURES / Music Midtown 2014
Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 11.46.12 PM

Music Midtown 2014

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 11.44.28 PM

“Berzerk”: A Look Inside Music Midtown 2014

By: Hope Dickson

Alcohol, pot, and music. Is it the sixties? Nope, it’s only the 2014 Music Midtown Festival at Piedmont Park in downtown Atlanta.

More than 60,000 people gathered at the event on both Friday and Saturday, Sept.19-20. Both nights, the park was packed with fans for all the artists that were there.

For 15 years now, Atlanta has hosted one of the biggest music festivals in the United States at the end of each summer. Different artists come out each year and perform for two days in front of an audience that can only be described as massive.

This year’s lineup included: Lana Del Rey, Bastille, B.o.B, Third Eye Blind, John Mayer, Iggy Azalea, Lorde, 21 pilots, Jack Brown Band, Eminem, plus many more. Two solid days of a wide mixture of musical artists, so there was something to meet everybody’s taste in music.

“What I’m looking forward to most is Bastille or 21 Pilots,” said Nichols State University sophomore Sadie Jablonski. “There are always tickets sold out; and since I just learned about both of them recently, I’m super excited to see them.”

This was a common thought process between many people at Music Midtown. Artists that have not performed in Atlanta in years finally performed for their fans in the southern states. Eminem alone has not made it to the ATL in nine years, so the crowds for sure didn’t want to miss this opportunity of a lifetime.

There were even surprise guests, like T.I. Pain, who performed with a few artists. The adrenaline rush that came from the music and beats was a feeling that could never be forgotten.

People pushed, shoved, and fought their way through crowds to get as close to their favorite artists as humanly possible. The more people started trying to leave the crowd, the more people fought to fill in the voids. The atmosphere was crazy, and everybody got to know at least one stranger a little bit more personally than they may have wanted.

“My favorite artist that performed has to be John Mayer,” said Georgia State University alumnus Gillian Davis. “I love the energy that he brings to the stage! He plays with a lot of passion, and it’s so great to watch. You can’t help but smile and sing along to all of his songs. From the second he took the stage, I just knew it was going to be a fantastic show!”

Both John Mayer and Eminem were the main headliners at this year’s event. John Mayer performed on Friday night, Sept. 19; and Eminem on Saturday night, Sept. 20.

Tickets go on sale as early as the very beginning of the summer for this event every year. By the time the event weekend comes, tickets are sold out costing as much as more than $1000 for a VIP ticket.

But one thing’s for sure, it is worth every penny. Especially if there is an amazing lineup.

“The best part was being there knowing that I was part of something bigger than me,” said Mila Raeva, a GPC sophomore. “That and getting to sing along with some of my favorite musicians and feel like they were specifically singing to me.”

So start saving now. As good as the lineup was this year, it will most likely be 10 times better next year.

And take my word for it, you don’t want to miss out.