Home / FEATURES / “O Captain! My Captain!”
Illustration by Hope Dickson.
Illustration by Hope Dickson.

“O Captain! My Captain!”

Illustration by Hope Dickson.
Illustration by Hope Dickson.

Robin Williams lives on in our hearts

By: Hope Dickson

There are three types of people in this world: the ones you know, the ones you don’t know, and the ones you love but don’t know. The last category has our favorite characters from books, our favorite music artists, and even our favorite actors.

2014 has been quite the year in the entertainment world. We have lost too many greats this year. Just to name a few big names: Philip Seymour Hoffman, James Garner, Shirley Temple, Joan Rivers, Mickey Rooney, Casey Kasem and Maya Angelou. But one of the most biggest shocks was Robin Williams.

As college students, most of us have grown up with Williams’ movies: “Mrs. Doubtfire,””Patch Adams,” “Aladdin,” “Hook,” “Dead Poets Society,” “Good Will Hunting,” “Jumanji” and more than a hundred more. Williams entered our lives as a celebrity who loved to make us laugh but also found a way to teach us a valuable lesson in the process.

Some of the lessons he taught us were infinite love, the importance of family, the joy in humor and the potential to do something great with our lives.

“My favorite would be ‘What Dreams May Come’ because it talks about true love,” GPC political science student, Jade Gibbs, said. “It’s amazing how they go through all these obstacles and still find their way back to each other.”

Movies give us an escape from reality. Sitting down, putting in a favorite movie and watching it after a long day gives us a different form of relaxation. Some prefer comedy, some like romance, while others enjoy action. Then there are the movies that were made to inspire us.

“My favorite movie would be ‘Jack’,” said Kierra Johnson, a music student. ”Because it is really funny and taught the importance of childhood, and what it really meant to be an adult.”

Williams’ death was one that affected many of us immensely. It was so unexpected to us that we didn’t know what to think. How can someone who always found a way to give us a reason to laugh also be so depressed to commit suicide?

“It made me realize that even a funny man like him can experience depression,” said James Hill, a GPC film and journalism student. “It was a real surprise that someone like him would be that depressed.”

One thing that we fail to realize sometimes is that celebrities are people too. They are not the characters we see on the big screen, but people who struggle with the hardships of life just like the rest of us. What makes them famous is what they do with their fame for the world.

Williams did it all: Comedy, movies, TV shows and made the men and women serving overseas laugh. He supported several charities and found time for his three children in the midst of everything else.

Even though we loved what he did for the world, the world inside himself was often a constant struggle to live in. Addiction was probably one of life’s most difficult obstacles to overcome.

Williams spent more than two decades struggling with his addictions to drugs and alcohol. Both of these things have been researched enough to show the altercations they have on one’s brain. Even getting help to overcome the addictions, the damage is still there and depression often sets in.

It’s hard to believe that the man who brought so much light to the world couldn’t overcome the darkness within.

Despite that, one thing is certain. Robin Williams is somebody that will be truly missed.

His voice, his jokes, and his words of wisdom are all some things that will continue to bring us joy and laughter throughout our lives; as Robin becomes a memory to all of us.

R.I.P. Robin. Keep heaven laughing for us.

“Please, don’t worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you’re ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day… make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did.”

~Robin Williams in “Jack”

About Dinko Ivojevic