Home / Clarkston / Renovating the Registration Offices at Clarkston
ERS employees James Stephen and Gwendolyn Walker-Russell help prospective student Ashley Corbett (front) and biology major Isis Abdullah (back). Photo by Kezia Velista.

Renovating the Registration Offices at Clarkston

“Renovations carry promise of a better facility but also inconvenience for students and faculty.”

By: Rangadevi Chakraborty

The enrollment process is a thorn in the eyes of many prospective students. Filling out forms, providing academic and extracurricular records, and wait- ing several hours for the answer to one question all make this a painful process.

Matthew Robison, Clarkston Dean of Student Affairs, said that renovating and relocating the various offices that were previously in the One-Stop-Shop will expedite the enrollment process.

The One-Stop-Shop was designated for the offices of Financial Aid, Advisement and Counseling, and Enrollment and Registration. Temporarily, these offices are located on the second floor in the CN-building. These renovations carry the promise of a better facility but also inconvenience for students and faculty.

The temporary separation of the offices creates a lot more space, and students react to the changes quite positively.

Ali Ahmed, a psychology major at the Clarkston campus remembers the crowded area of the One-Stop-Shop with frustration.

“It took forever for your name to be called, especially during the few days prior to that start of any new semester,” said Ahmed. “I feel that there are less students waiting in line now and that the services are being completed faster.”

The mass of students seems to have lessened, so there appears to be a more relaxed atmosphere in the waiting room. Not all students agree though.

“They still need more people working in the back. With only three available staff, it’s impossible to give students fast service,” said Ann Campbell, also a psychology major at the Clarkston campus. “When I first came in, I was waiting for two hours to get one question answered. When they move downstairs, they’re still going to need to hire more people, especially the days leading up to the start of classes.”

She pointed out that although the staff is very friendly and capable, students overflow their offices, and the length of the wait creates tension between students and staff.

The renovation should be completed towards the end of the fall semester, and all offices will move back to their designated areas, except for Advisement and Counseling, which will remain across from the bookstore in the CN building.

The only change left to implement is a new glass entrance. Other renovations include new carpeting, painting, and some new pieces of furniture.

Linda Fields, a Clarkston ERS staff member, is optimistic and feels “like the improved environment will allow us to help students more efficiently, providing good student services as always, but in a more spacious setting.”

She also pointed out that there are no changes in the ERS systems or SIS; the only change is the physical location.

Tamba Pessima, a biology major at the Clarkston campus shares her optimism: “I’ll be graduated by then, hopefully, but I believe that future students will experience the result of the renovation positively.”