Home / College Wide / Sports Briefs

Sports Briefs

By: Tosin Ogunnoiki

Women’s Soccer

The Women’s team came off a tough road loss to the number one GCAA region ranked Darton State College Cavaliers. The game knocked the team’s record to 3-1, giving them their first loss of the season. Despite a 5-0 shutout Coach Kalonji believes there is a lot of soccer left to play. “We will give them a better game, when they come to play us at home,” Kalonji said.

Virginia native Aubrey Bush sustained a hand fracture in the Jags’ game against Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and was inactive during the game. The team should see a big improvement when she makes her return.

Coach Kalonji chimes in on bouncing back from the loss and beating Andrew College, “I believe that we will do very well. We have worked really hard this week and we must concentrate on the next game.”

Baseball

Coming off a strong 2013 season, the Jags hopped right into championship form on opening day. They put on a pro-like show at their double-header in Carrollton to kick off the 2014 fall season.

In the first game of the day, the Jags certainly kept their bats ringing, bringing in an impressive 11 runs, cruising past fellow GCCA rival Gordon State College 11-7. In the second game of the day, the Jags fielded a superb field and base unit that had a great defensive effort to shut out the Snead College Parsons 3-0.

Head baseball coach Brett Campbell sets the team’s eyes to the approaching GBSA tournament out in Covington, Ga., where they are sure to be tested. Campbell and company look to extend their winning streak.

The P-Jags sure proved to be confident in the talent and experience that they have returning to the squad this year. Our very own Perimeter Jags are clear favorites to win the GCAA region title once again.

Men’s Soccer

Although the Jags’ game was postponed on Sept. 13, against Darton State’s Cavaliers, Coach Marc Zaguar and the Men’s soccer team remain confident.

Freshman forward Ryan Gordon had a game winning goal in the final minutes of regulation against the Salkehatchie Indians, improving the Jags’ record to 6-0.

Gordon says that the team has no intention of slowing down.

Zaguar’s Jaguars are looking for their first 7-0 start in school history by defeating their upcoming opponent the Andrew College fighting Tigers!