Home / College Wide / 5 Things Not to Say While Waiting in Line at the Voting Polls

5 Things Not to Say While Waiting in Line at the Voting Polls

By: James Fisher

It’s that time again, the November Midterm Elections are coming up and it has been a heated race for the Senatorial and Gubernatorial candidates.

In the Senatorial race, we have Democratic candidate Michelle Nunn, Republican candidate David Perdue, and Libertarian candidate Amanda Swafford.

In the race to be Georgia’s next Governor, we have Democratic candidate Jason Carter, Libertarian candidate Andrew Hunt, and running for re-election Republican candidate Nathan Deal.

During this time, the citizens of Georgia line up at their nearest polling location and vote on who will be their voices for the next few years.

Like American Idol, not every candidate can “sing” very well and voters will be subjected to cantankerous or sycophantic judges on the respective news broadcasting services each voter listens to.

On voting day, voters will be waiting impatiently to cast their ballots. While in these lines, here are five things NOT to say:

“I hope voting for my friends and family is not considered voting fraud.” U.S. citizens and the government take voting fraud very seriously. Fraudulent ballots could result in the unintended candidate being elected. Nobody wants the other candidate to win. It’s best that the voter drags their friends and family to wait in line with them to vote, or they can fill out an absentee ballot if they cannot make it.

Dunwoody Communication student, Elizabeth Carroll suggests voters standing in line do not talk about how, “Anyone who votes for so and so is an idiot. Or any negative comment about another candidate that someone else could support.”

Defaming someone voting for a particular candidate is not a very smart thing to do as people can get very offended by that and it could easily escalate into a fight. Fighting in voting lines is not recommended, unless you want to be arrested.

“What’s this line for,” asks Nursing student Chelsea Scoggins, wandering to a mass of voters lining up.

This is not suggested to ask because the people in line will probably think the voter is an uneducated voter. No one likes an uneducated voter and it is recommended that the voter refrain from talking about how little they know about the issues and candidates.

Biomedical Engineering student Joseph Kazim suggests that joking about, “How you have just returned from West Africa then sneezing,” is not a very good idea and those voters will start to panic as the Center for Disease Control surround the building, quarantining everyone in line.

Joking about Ebola or any other controversial topic along those lines is not a laughing matter and could get the voter in a lot of trouble.

Finally, it is recommended that voters standing in line say nothing for fear that they might insult each other. If voters do decide to talk then talk amongst yourselves about wholesome topics like tiny animals, arguments about which smart phone to get, pumpkin spice flavored foodstuffs, or socially acceptable public displays of violence like football and video games. Because people like those things more than arguing politics.