Home / College Wide / One stop swap: Photo Swap 4×6
Students Justin Beaudrot (left) and Felipe Fernandes (right) rummage through the pile of prints while speculating what they’ve picked up. Photo by Kezia Velista.

One stop swap: Photo Swap 4×6

By: Kezia Velista

What do you get when you gather handfuls of photographers together in a room? They talk about photography, of course. The 2014 Photo Swap event at the Low Museum did just that.

“I expected a lot of people just picking and choosing photos, that’s about it. What happened was, it’s more fun than I expected. I met other photographers and artists, which is always exciting!” exclaimed English major Ella Alexander from the Dunwoody campus of GPC.

The annual Photo Swap event held by the Low Museum is a simple concept — anyone can join in. You print out 4×6 photos of anything.

Once you come in, put it on a huge platform, then people begin to pick and choose. This is a great way to showcase your work without the pressure of having them hung up on a wall.

Photography used to be something that’s time consuming.Nowadays, with the rising usage of social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, almost anyone can do photography within minutes. This statement may cause outrage to a number of people but, it’s the truth.

Photography has different meanings to different people; for example, Journalism major Justin Beaudrot says, “Photography to me is an opportunity to capture a moment or memory in time. Especially when hanging out with friends; those images will always remember the good times while we get older and may forget.”

Beaudrot is also a freelance photographer and he spends lots of time shooting pictures of his varied interests.

On the other hand, engineering major Felipe Fernandes claims to just take pictures of whatever he likes, yet he contributed to the event by printing out several photos he took from his phone.

“I initially planned on going without giving away any photos, but my friend convinced me just to feel more a part of it. I observed some people and turns out, they picked up my stuff! It was relieving,” he replied, when asked if he put anything into the 4×6 pile.

Whether or not you are a photographer, the Low Museum’s annual Photo Swap event is for everyone and there’s no limit to who can join! To find out more events scheduled by them, go to http://thelowmuseum.com/.