Home / College Wide / Q&A: Keeping up with Professors

Q&A: Keeping up with Professors

A day in the life of Julie Langley, Communications Professor

By: Jabril Titus

Julie Langley doing what she loves best. Photo courtesy of Julie Langley.

Have you ever wonder what a professor’s day consists of? As students many of us take time out to study and do homework for our classes. In return professors spend their precious time planning for just those classes. Julie Langley, Newton communications professor, in particular drives an hour away from the Newton campus to teach.

The C: How much time do you feel you spend planning on a weekly basis?

JL: “For teaching, I plan one to three hours weekly. I have preplanned for much longer. ”

The C: What do you feel is the most challenging part of your work and why?

JL: “My field is being phased out of the Ga. college system; I am challenged to learn a new field.”

The C: What do you feel is the most rewarding part and why?

JL: “Unquestionably, I find my students’ learning the most rewarding because life is about learning.”

The C: What is your typical day like? Describe it from beginning to end.

JL: “This semester I teach three classes on Mondays and Wednesdays and I begin those days at 8 a.m. I drive an hour, teach three classes and have office hours, and then I drive home. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I teach one class and I begin those days at 6:45 a.m. I drive an hour, teach the course, have office hours, drive to Georgia State University, and take Graduate Communication courses.”

The C: What is one suggestion on how to prepare now for a future position in teaching?

JL: “Be flexible in your teaching style.”

The C: (If you don’t mind me asking) What is your age? And when did you start working for in your field?

JL: “I am proud to be 52! I began teaching when I was 29 and began in this field when I was 37.”

The C: What advice would you give to a college student who’s interested in your field?

JL: “Literacy is a vital life skill that is changing rapidly: consider its viability as a profession before entering the field.”

The C: What skills did you learn on the job? What skills did you bring to the job?

JL: “I learned flexibility and the ability to use teachable moments as well as the ability to handle various challenging students and classroom situations. I brought passion, enthusiasm, and a love of learning with me.”

The C: Can you leave us with a few tips or suggestions for anyone wanting to go into a position such as yours?

JL: “The rewards are emotional, spiritual, and mental rather than mostly financial. Know yourself well before you decide to teach. As my grandfather was wont to say, “It’s surprising to know how much you must know in order to know how little you know.” Be humble and always be willing to learn!