Home / College Wide / Sports Briefs

Sports Briefs

By: Tosin Ogunnoiki

Women’s Soccer

The Lady Jags gave a valiant effort against a regional rival but came out short in a tough 4-0 loss to the Darton State Cavs. The GPC Women’s team is still well over .500 with a 6-4-1 record; and with a lot of unshaken confidence, the Lady Jags are looking to bounce back against Andrew College. This is a very resilient team boasting a 2-1 record in games following a loss. GO JAGS!

Men’s Soccer

GPC’s young and talented Men’s soccer team is making a strong argument week after week that they are the number one team nationally in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) standings.

The Jags are now 11-0 for the first time in school history with their wins against regional rivals Andrew College (5 to 1), and a 3-2 thriller against Darton College. In the win against Andrew College, three different Jaguars scored goals.

Striker, Reece Weldon (midfielder), Chevaun Blake, and Dawit Alemu (midfielder). Blake led the pack with an astounding three goals.

In the thrilling finish against Darton, star freshman striker, Reece Weldon, scored a game winning goal in the final minutes of regulation putting our Jags up on top 3- 2.

Weldon is second in all of the NJCAA for game winning goals with six so far this season.