Home / College Wide / FrontPage / Stomp Out Smoking (SOS)
Newton JAG Illusion dance team poses in their Stomp Out Smoking attire. Photo by Jabril Titus.

Stomp Out Smoking (SOS)

Dance Team Helps Kick Off Smoking Ban

By: Jabril Titus

The smoking ban on all regional colleges of Georgia went into effect on Wednesday, Oct. 1. SGA/JAG on the Newton campus heavily marketed the change by passing out brochures; blow pops with “Don’t blow smoke” on them, and t-shirts with the “No Smoking” logo.

Many students participated by picking up the goodies they offered. It is still uncertain if warnings were passed out, but as far as marketing goes, the day went well.

The JAG Illusion dance team performed for the students on the Newton campus twice impressing the crowd and spreading awareness to smokers or non-smokers.

Jasmine Wharton, a film student on the Newton and Decatur campuses, founded the JAG Illusion dance team. She formerly attended Gordon State College who also had a dance team.

Wharton felt that it was vital for the Newton campus to form a dance team to lengthen the variety of clubs on campus.

She shared her vision with Marsha Cole, faculty adviser for the dance team, and Giovante Logan, a student on the Newton campus and the president of the Dance Club.

Dance team captain Ja’Lynn Cole felt that the purpose of them performing was used as an easy transition into the smoking ban.

She said, “It was to help promote a healthier environment for students and faculty and staff.”

Collectively, the dance team felt that this event would inform the students on how many ways smoking can affect them and the people around them. They felt that it was their duty to help transition this rule into effect with a positive outlet.

Jakiesha Johnson, JAG Illusion dancer, said, “Being in the dance team gave me something to do instead of being in the streets.”

JAG Illusion also has various events in store for the future. They have a Halloween event coming up on Oct. 30, more information for which will be provided closer to the date.

The dance team was also invited to perform at halftime for the basketball game.

They will also perform at the Newton campus for homecoming week.

Marsha Cole said, “I feel like the event went very well today. It was successful, and I’m proud of the girls for going out there and representing GPC for the no smoking event.”

Cole encourages students to join the JAG Illusion dance team.

If you are interested in trying out you can contact her at marsha.cole.gpc.edu.