Home / Clarkston / What is Clarkston’s SGA doing for the community?

What is Clarkston’s SGA doing for the community?

By: Maurice Raeford

The Student Government As- sociation’s main mission for the 2014-2015 year is to have more community awareness and get more students involved.

SGA has a few projects set up for this semester already.

They have set up a volunteer program where students can go to the Indian Creek Elementary School and read to the students.

On Oct. 29, there will be a fall community festival the Clarkston community will be coming out to participate.

The members of SGA also discussed that the Drama Club will be having a flash mob during the festival in the free speech zone; there is also talk about the mayor of Clarkston making an appearance.

On Oct. 30, USA Network will be hosting an exclusive GPC campaign against anti-discrimination at the Clarkston campus from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

They will have station where students can get shirt that say “I am against _______,” and the student gets to pick from a variety of things from ageism to sexism.

SGA is also working to modify the Sole Project, in which students put their old or unwanted shoes in bins to be given to the less fortunate.

SGA has also just passed a couple of new clubs for the students to get involved in.

The first club is the Gamers Club, which submitted its request in March 2014. The club passed with a vote of 3 to 4.

The mission for this club is to have a fun safe area where students can come and meet other students and play games. Some games like Halo, GTA and games with adult ratings will not be allowed. Any student can join this club.

The next club to pass was the Opera Club. The Opera Club passed with a unanimous vote.

The Opera Club was formed because the opera can be rather expensive, and they want to make it attainable for GPC students.

Our current president also signed the registration form for the Pre-dental Club.

Lastly, SGA has started planning for Homecoming which will take place from Nov.3 to Nov.7. OnNov.3, there will be a homecoming parade.

Homecoming day is Nov. 6; there will be a Vegas night theme at the school, with magicians and showgirls.

The dance is Nov. 7, at the West Peachtree Hotel. The code is formal and semi-formal.

GPC students will need to have their GPC ID and non-GPC students will need to have a state-issued ID.

If you want to get involved, contact stu- dent body President Jade Gibbs or coordina- tor for Student Life, July Carrillo.