Home / Dunwoody / Your Friends and Your Critics: The Writers’ Circle
(Rotating clockwise): Julie McDermott, Garn Webb, Alexandra Rochman, Joe Rabianski, Jim Huskins, Pamela Smith, and Freddie McGee. A Meeting at the Dunwoody Bakery on Sept. 26.

Your Friends and Your Critics: The Writers’ Circle

(Rotating clockwise): Julie McDermott, Garn Webb, Alexandra Rochman, Joe Rabianski, Jim Huskins, Pamela Smith, and Freddie McGee. A Meeting at the Dunwoody Bakery on Sept. 26. Photo by Kezia Velista.
Gelia Dolcimascolo holding up her bell. After this photo was taken, she claims to also have a dog whistle in her purse just in case, but says she hasn’t had to use it...yet. Photo by Kezia Velista.
Gelia Dolcimascolo holding up her bell. After this photo was taken, she claims to also have a dog whistle in her purse just in case, but says she hasn’t had to use it…yet. Photo by Kezia Velista.

By: Kezia Velista

A snack bag sized Ziplock bag of melt-in-your-mouth peppermints, a group of writers huddled in a collection of rectangular tables, and a constant voice of story reading–never to leave the room silent.

The Georgia Perimeter College Writers’ Circle has been around for 25 years and is a safe haven for writers of any genre to read, edit, and discuss their works.

The group meets at the Learning and Tutoring Center on the Dun- woody campus two Fridays each month.

Fiction writer Freddie McGee said,“We’ve been together quite awhile so everybody knows each other’s nuances, and if it’s bad writing, we know it right away.”

The members became so fond of their gatherings that they began to hold unofficial meetings at the Dunwoody Bakery .

“It’s because we’re writing novels, and we needed more fixes,” said fiction writer Julie McDermott.

Some people need writing in their lives in order to feel, well, in order.

Gelia Dolcimascolo, the current facilitator of Writers’ Circle, is one of these people and admits that she has to write.

When asked for the reason, she replied, “I have no choice. I was a dancer and I had to make a shift with my life, because I got older, my knees weren’t doing what they were supposed to do!”

Nowadays, what moves her is writing. “What inspires me is my love of words. I come from an artistic family. Music is in my bones, art is all around me,” Dolcimascolo said. “That’s my choice of art form.”

From time to time, the circle can get a bit loud about their opinions, and Dolcimascolo has a small bell that she has had to use before. Even so, criticism given by the group always has the best intentions at heart.

“I like the energy we get, and the somewhat objective feedback. I thrive on that,” she said.

Held in room 3100 of the N-LRC building, the Writers’ Circle’s upcoming meetings for this semester are Oct. 17, Nov. 7 and 21 and Dec. 5 and 19.

The Dunwoody Bakery meetings are the alternate Fridays, located on 2492 Mount Vernon Road.