Home / College Wide / “A sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania.”

“A sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania.”

By: James Fisher

GPC and Dunwoody Playcrafters presented an adaptation of “The Rocky Horror Show,”directed by Professor Joshua Corin and performed at the Dunwoody campus from Nov. 6-9.

In 1973, Richard O’Brien’s play, “The Rocky Horror Show,” premiered as a homage to science fiction and horror B-movies.

“The Rocky Horror Show” is the story of a couple, Brad and Janet, who find themselves stranded in a storm and come across a castle where the scientist Frank N. Furter, a “sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania,” is working onhisnewcreation,amannamed Rocky Horror.

Frank N. Furter is accompanied by an eccentric cast of characters like Riff Raff, Magenta, and Eddie.

Fans of the campy cult classic were sure to enjoy this play.

The actors, despite technical issues, performed very well and kept performing when the microphones cut out and experienced interference.

The entire cast was great. Jorge Perez and Jordan Prince as Rocky and Frank N. Furter were highlights of the excellently acted production.

Elysa Friedman, and William Roberts were perfectly cast as Janet, and Brad, respectively.

Halla Fakhoury was cast as the usherette Trixie and Magenta and really shined as Trixie in the opening song, “Science Fiction/Double Feature,” accompanied by the Phantoms and a video of science fiction and horror B-movies.

The use of the projector for the bedroom scenes was clever and humorous.

The musicians providing the music for the play were great; however, because of the technical difficulties concerning the microphones, it made the actors hard to hear at times, especially during one of Rocky’s songs.

When thinking about the costuming for “Rocky Horror Show,” the audience would picture the costumes as something seen at a glam or goth rock show. The costume choices for some of the cast felt too out of place for the production like the green and purple color scheme for Riff Raff and Magenta.

The costuming for Frank, Rocky, Janet, and Brad, in particular, was great.

All in all, despite the technical difficulties, “The Rocky Horror Show” was sure to please fans of the cult film.

The production was camp and racy, as it should be, and Director Corin and the cast did a great job bringing the camp to the stage.