Home / College Wide / Your Raison D’être (Reason for Existence)

Your Raison D’être (Reason for Existence)

By: Kezia Velista

As college students, we’re at that stage when we’re out on our own, or at least in the process of doing so. We go to school, but we might not know what it is exactly what we’re aiming for afterwards. Everyone has a reason for existing, be it becoming the next Steve Jobs, dreams about working for Vogue magazine, or just being a loving parent to your children.

In the past decade, it seems that a majority of our youth are interested in the entertainment and arts fields. As for me, I’m more than positive that taking pictures is my reason for existence. I may not have mastered it to the maximum, but I would choose to do it over any other job in the world.

If you’re starting off as anything in these fields, you’re most likely making little to no money. You must truly have a passion for it. You wake up thinking about it, sleep think- ing about it, shower thinking about it. We put our sweat, blood, and tears into it but there’s no better feeling than being able to succeed in your aspirations.

As a living example, up and coming actor, model, singer, Derek Yates did just that. At 18, he wanted to audition to be on American Idol because the performances he’s seen on television seemed to really touch the audience. He started off his career as a singer and model, but after some time, there was a local agency who suggested he should also work on acting skills.

“[It’s a] good thing that I did because now acting is the forefront of my career,” Yates said.

Speaking of auditions and interviews themselves, they can seriously be nerve- wracking. All eyes are on you, and you’re standing there, possibly being recorded, in hopes that certain position or role is yours.

When asked if he has any advice for those doing their first audition, Derek replied, “You need to be aware that you’ll most likely hear a hundred ‘no’s’ before you get that one ‘yes.’ I auditioned over one hundred times before landing my first Union role on a TV show that spanned a 2.5 year period. So, this business isn’t for the faint of heart or anyone who doesn’t know how to fall down and get back up,” he continued.

All of what I just mentioned was important to keep in mind, but on top of it all is for you to respect everyone else in your field. Something I’ve learned recently is that if you want to be respected, you have to gain others’ respect, then you’ll climb up the metaphorical ladder.

You don’t have to go searching high and low for your raison d’être. You may have found it when you were eight years old, or you’ll find it when you’re thirty-eight. It’s something that you just start doing and it clicks in your mind that you want to do that every day for the rest of your life.