Home / College Wide / Finding your fitness inspiration

Finding your fitness inspiration

By: Temarrio Thomas

One day you wake up, look in the mirror and you are unhappy with what’s staring back at you. Admit it, we have all been there. You then ask yourself, “What do I do to change the way I look?”

The motivation to be present at work each day is there. You have the motivation to successfully complete college. Why is this motivation not applied to the goals for your fitness and your health?

Sometimes it is hard to drag yourself to the gym on a daily basis. Some people have always been physically fit or into fitness. What about the people on the opposite end of the spectrum?

Some of them are inherently skinny, while others came into the world a little pleasantly plump, as some may call it. Should you just play with the cards you were dealt, or should you strive to change yourself ?

This is where people begin to make that change. Many people occasionally have some self mo- tivation to get up and go to the gym. Once there, they are completely motivated and feel that it is go time. However, the challenge is physically taking yourself to the gym.

The first step is to find what motivates you. Sometimes a person is not sure where they need to start or how to get started. Start light and visit your fitness center if one is provided by your apartment complex or homeowners association.

If there is not a fitness center in your neighborhood, here are a list of gyms and memberships that you can check out.

L.A. Fitness

• Initiation fee: $99 with a monthly fee of $29.95.
  • Offers a wide range of services including Yoga, Cycling, & Pilates.
  • Personal Training, Babysitting, & Juice Bar.
  • Hours may vary.

Planet Fitness

• No commitment/Initiation fee. Monthly fee of $10 or $19.99.
  • Member benefits dependent upon membership type.
  • Open 24 hours.

Workout Anytime

• $15 month-to-month basic membership.
  • $25 month-to-month premium membership.
  • Premium membership grants you a free guest, tanning, hyrdo- massage, monthly fitness evaluation, & react training.
  • Prices may also vary by location.
  • Open 24 hours.

Snap Fitness

• $34.95 monthly for single membership. $59.95 monthly for joint membership. $74.95 monthly for a family membership
  • No long-term contracts.
  • Personal training available.
  • Open 24 hours.
  • Hopefully this information will help start a fire inside you to get on the right track about maintaining your health and staying in shape. Here’s to you for having the motivation to keeping your fitness resolution in 2015!