Home / College Wide / ‘Foxcatcher:’ A must-see

‘Foxcatcher:’ A must-see

By: James Fisher

Bennett Miller’s “The Foxcatcher” is the true story of the deadly union of multimillionaire, John du Pont, and Olympic wrestling brothers, Dave and Mark Schultz. The film stars Steve Carrell, Channing Tatum, and Mark Ruffalo.

The film centers on the Schultz brothers and their relationship with multimillionaire sports enthusiast, John du Pont, who sponsored Team Foxcatcher for the 1988 Olympics. The tumultuous relationship of the Schultz brothers and du Pont would culminate in the tragic murder of Dave Schultz by John du

Pont on Foxcatcher Farm in 1996. Miller suggests an obsession du Pont has with Mark Schultz. Carrell, Tatum, and Ruffalo shine in their portrayals of du Pont and the Schultz brothers, respectively.

Steve Carrell’s chilling performance of the disturbed John du Pont is creepy, yet reserved and austere. For an actor who has primarily portrayed bumbling fools, Carrell’s character is welcomed and sure to win awards.

Tatum and Ruffalo gave award-worthy performances as well.

Miller’s true story tragedy of the American Dream illuminates the disturbing crime that was committed by a paranoid schizophrenic heir to a fortune, who thought he was the epitome of patriotism when he promised the Schultz brothers the American Dream which ultimately led to their downfall.