Home / College Wide / Q&A: Get to know your basketball captains

Q&A: Get to know your basketball captains

By Tosin Ogunnoiki

Ronnie Mays (#2) jumps high to make the catch in GPC's win against Albany Tech (79-60). Photo by Ben Abrams.
Ronnie Mays (#2) jumps high to make the catch in GPC’s win against Albany Tech (79-60). Photo by Ben Abrams.

The C: Where are you from?

RM: “Macon, Ga.”

The C: What drove you to play basketball on a competitive level?

RM: “It was really mixture of all the people I was around at a young age and me just staying away from trouble and violence.”

The C: Do you ever feel like there is any additional pressure on you because you were named the team captain?

RM: “Not really. I mean there is pressure, but I really just do it for my team. If anything, my teammates take pressure off me.”

The C: What does Ronnie Mays listen to before a game or practice and just when you are about to compete in general?

RM: “Lil’ Wayne. Rich Homie (Quan). Kevin Gates. Young Thug.”

The C: What is your diet like during the season? Is there any junk food you try to stay away from?

RM: ‘I wouldn’t say stay away, cause I don’t really eat junk food. But I like to eat lots of fruit during the season.

The C: Who is your favorite basketball player?

RM: “Ok. Has to be Lebron ( James)!”

The C: Why him?

RM: “Because that is that man!” (laughs)

The C: Are there any plans to continue playing basketball after your career is finished with GPC?

RM: “I’m transferring to Troy University (Alabama). Me and the coaches there are real cool; they’ve already come and watched some of my games.”

The C: What is the one thing you hope to achieve as basketball player?

RM: “Regional Championship! (NJCAA Region 17) We’re trying to get one now.”

Taylor Byod (#12) lines up for a free throw shot at GPC's win against Albany Tech (76-54). Photo by Ben Abrams.
Taylor Byod (#12) lines up for a free throw shot at GPC’s win against Albany Tech (76-54). Photo by Ben Abrams.

The C: Where are you from?

TB: “St. Louis, Miss.”

The C: Do you play any sports other than basketball?

TB: “I ran cross-country and track, but basketball is my favorite”

The C: Are there any hobbies outside of basketball?

TB: “I like hanging with friends, swim- ming, and just girl stuff like shopping, get- ting my nails and hair done.”

The C: What does Taylor Boyd like to do to prepare for a game?

TB: “I like to listen to music by myself to get in the zone, anything by Rich Gang.”

TB: “I eat everything (laughs), I’ve been trying to eat better but its hard being in col- lege.”

The C: “What are your plans after you are done playing basketball at GPC?”

TB: “I plan to finish my 2 years at another school while playing basketball, either Uni- versity of Mississippi or this other school in North Carolina that’s scouting me, then go into the Navy.”

The C: Would you play professional bas- ketball if the opportunity ever presented it- self ?

TB: “Of course! It doesn’t really matter, but either one is good.”