Home / Newton / Op-ed: Grassroots rap and eclectic hip-hop

Op-ed: Grassroots rap and eclectic hip-hop

By: D’vale Weston

Joey Bada$$ in ‘B4.Da.$$’

B4.Da.$$ (pronounced Before Da Money) is the debut studio album by American hip-hop artist Joey Bada$$. It was released on Jan. 20, also his 20th birthday, by Cinematic Music Group and Relentless Records in the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as being made available on iTunes.

Photo courtesy of website of Joey Bada$$.

This album by an amazing artist is something that we must all take a listen too.

Joey Bada$$, a hot young talent with an old school flow offers a gritty, witty and deeply lyrical alternative to current mainstream hip-hop.

His long-awaited debut album has impressed many critics, reaching Billboard’s 200 at number five and selling 53, 990 units in his first week.

Bada$$ updates the rough but smooth vibe of golden age rap for the millennial generation, rocking of flow that is equally inspired by the introspective rhythms and intricate street tales.

Bada$$ bring something completely new to our generation, successfully intertwining old-school rap with a modern-day flow.

Photo courtesy of website of Lupe Fiasco.

Lupe Fiasco in ‘Tetsuo & Youth’

Tetsuo & Youth is the fifth studio album by American rapper Lupe Fiasco. The album was released on January 20, 2015, by Atlantic Records and 1st & 15th Entertainment. It was promoted by the Tetsuo & Youth preview tour, which took place from Nov. 2, 2013 to Dec. 15, 2013.

Lupe Fiasco is an incredible underground rapper who happens to have a mainstream career. From his label dust to his shifting musical ambition, he rebels in his duality in “Tetsuo & Youth.”

This artist is someone you must pay attention too.

His lyrics and bars transcend when listening to him. With such knowledge he gives a comprehensive work of artistry.

Fiasco is someone that this young generation needs to hear to understand what’s really going on in the world around us.

What I love about Fiasco is the fact that he took a temporary hiatus and came back, with full force to give us an album that is unsurpassed by any artist of our era.