Home / OPINION / Op-ed: I’m feelin’ blue

Op-ed: I’m feelin’ blue

The classic genre: The blues

By: Ruth Green

Two things I enjoy about Atlanta are its wide variety of venues for food and music.

One of my favorite genres of music is the blues, which according to “A Brief History of the Blues” by Ed Kopp, is a form of music that “originated on Southern plantations in the 19th century and is generally accepted that the music form evolved from African spirituals, African chants, work songs, and field hollers…”

As quiet as it’s kept ‘the blues’ is the springboard for such musical genres as rock and roll, jazz and R&B.

There is a place in Atlanta on Piedmont Avenue known as Fat Matt’s Rib Shack that is always a hot bed of activity on most nights of the week.

Over the years, it has become an Atlanta landmark.

It has been featured on the Food Channel for having some of the best barbecue in the state of Georgia, perhaps nationally.

Owner Matt Harper started the business more than 20 years ago, as a hole in the wall.

Twenty odd years later, it has grown tremendously in popularity.

Fat Matt’s Rib Shack was built on BBQ and the blues.

On just about any given day there is live music by local musicians.

I was there recently and had the pleasure of enjoying music by local bluesman, Larry Griffith.

Griffith leads his band on guitar and sings and plays most anything from blues, jazz, rock and roll and R&B.

As a lyricist, Griffith penned an interesting and hilarious song entitled “I Do, I Did, I’m Done,” an ode to the institute of marriage that I found very entertaining.

There are several venues around Atlanta in which you can experience the Larry Griffith Band regularly. He engages his audience, he’s funny and always thoroughly entertaining.

One thing I love about the blues is even though some of the songs can be sad, they have a way of making you feel good at the same time and have a way of lifting your spirits.

If you decide to treat yourself to a night out anywhere in Atlanta, Fat Matt’s Rib Shack should be a consideration because along with the mouth-watering food, there is always great music.

Keep in mind: there is usually a line going out the door and sometimes around the corner, so you should arrive early and plan on standing in the line, but it moves quickly.

So, go for the food, and stay for the music–you will not be disappointed.