Home / College Wide / FrontPage / Jump like Mike
Photo by Ben Abrams.
Photo by Ben Abrams.

Jump like Mike

Photo by Ben Abrams.
Photo by Ben Abrams.

Ankles key in art of slam dunking

By: Temarrio Thomas

For athletes looking to become artists of the slam dunk, start with conditioning and strengthening the body and practicing techniques.

Conditioning Training

1. Run the first sprint for 70 yards. Continue to increase distance of each run by ten yards after finishing the previous sprint. Pause after each sprint and rest 30 seconds before starting the next sprint. Go in succession of running 70, 80, 90, and 100 yards then stop after finishing the 100 yard sprint.

Strength Training

1. Strap ankle weights around the ankles and jog 30 minutes . This increases ankle strength in 30 days.
  2. A proper calf raise starts with the balls of your feet on the bottom step of a flight of stairs with the heels hanging off the edge. Raise the heels high as possible and hold for two seconds. Slowly lower heels back to toe level and hold again for two seconds. Repeat the exercise daily  20 times for three sets with one-minute of rest in between sets.
  3. Stand against a wall with feet shoulder width apart. Bend knees and hips like trying to sit in a chair until thighs are parallel to the floor. From this position stretch arms out and jump high as possible. Repeat jump squats 25 times in sets of three with  breaks.

Practicing Techniques

1. Practice your vertical leap by jumping to reach the rim without a basketball. Start by using small objects—tennis ball or pair of socks—before graduating to basketballs. Try this for your vertical leaps and your lay ups. Remember to practice with a running start.