Home / College Wide / Op-ed: Je suis contre Boko Haram. (I am against Boko Haram.)

Op-ed: Je suis contre Boko Haram. (I am against Boko Haram.)

By: Rangadevi Chakraborty

The shootings at the offices of satirical newspaper, “Charlie Hebdo,” in Paris shook many up, surprised many others and enraged innumerable people.

According to mainstream media, the attackers targeted the organization because they published cartoons of Prophet Muhammad. Twelve journalists were killed in these attacks.

Meanwhile, in Baga, Nigeria, a terrorist group named Boko Haram also carried out various attacks, allegedly killing up
to 2000 people.

However, hardly anyone writes or comments on the latter of the two.

For what reason do the events in Nigeria almost go unnoticed while such a large number of the population has shown support for the victims of the Paris shootings on the internet?

ISIS and Al-Qaeda circulate the news channels regularly, but what is Boko Haram?

The organization was founded in 2002 and initially focused on powerfully opposing Western education, hence the name.

After 2009 they began operations in order to create an Islamic state, similar to the operations that ISIS is currently performing in Syria.

Around three million people are affected by Boko Haram’s local dictatorial behavior to date.

Yet this injustice received little coverage compared to other international news.

CNN reported that it is not easy to determine the truth in Nigeria, when most other information seems to leak through social media first in a 140-character Tweet.

Politicians and government officials whose jobs are to represent the best interests of their regions often have no idea what really happened.

Senator Maine Maaji Lawan has said that at least 70 percent of the area he represents is in the hands of Boko Haram, including Borno, and Adamawa, two provinces in the north east of Nigeria.

In both cases, the Arabic phrase “Allahu Akbar,” literally translating to “God is great,” is a phrase often repeated during attacks
and in newscasts.

The media portrays the entire religion of Islam, a religion founded in peace, and its followers as vicious and vindictive.

How Islamic are these attacks really, and are the perpetrators really Muslim?