Home / NEWS / The wealthy rule all at the World Economic Forum

The wealthy rule all at the World Economic Forum

By: Maurice Raeford

The World Economic Forum, annual meeting when top entrepreneurs, politicians and celebrities from around the world come together to decide the direction in which they want to drive the economy, recently took place in Davos, Switzerland.

This meeting consisted of about 25,000 attendees. Celebrities are invited, because they have capital to end a lot of world problems.

This year’s issues were gender inequality, digital economy, and climate control.

Bill Gates said at this year’s forum that they are also working on a cure for AIDS that should be ready by the year 2030.

These forums are when the wealthy come together and help stabilize the world.

Gender inequality

The leaders hope to help bridge the income gap between men and women.

Women as of now make up about 50 percent of the work force. In many homes in today’s society women are the breadwinners
for the home.

It is average that women earn about 77 cents to every dollar that a man earns. When factored out over a year, this is about $23,000.

The number of cents to dollars is even lower with Latin and African American women.

Digital economy

The digital economy is considered the new economy or the internet economy.

More and more transactions are being done over the internet. The youth unemployment rate has gone from 15 percent to 60 percent.

Digital technology affects everything from education to farming. The digital economy has done a lot of good for the economy, but there have also been negative consequences. There has been a growing social inequality, a loss of privacy and a growing surveillance society, and a massive structural unemployment, just to name a few.

Climate change

There has been an acceleration in climate change, with 2014 being the hottest year to date.

At the forum they are coming up with a way to move towards a more livable world. One of the things that the UN came with is to increase the price of carbon, the U.S. and China also agreed to use less carbon.

However, there has been backlash for these meetings because the top 85 percent make more than the bottom 50 percent of the world.

They address gender inequality but last year’s forum was only 14 percent women.

People also see these meetings as a way for the rich to buy elections and political power.

Recently, the Koch brothers invested 896 million dollars in the 2016 election.

The Koch brothers are one of the wealthiest families in the world who own a few tissue brands along with other necessities in life.

The brothers are worth about $41 billion each.

This can be dangerous because then the middle class vote will increasingly start to lose influence in political matters. With only the top percent controlling political system then the gap continues to spread between the rich and poor.

The forum is basically a yearly convention set in place to alter the way of living.