Home / CULTURE / A cultural timestamp and 2015’s Madonna

A cultural timestamp and 2015’s Madonna

Photo courtesy of Top Dawg Entertainment

Album Reviews

Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterfly”

By D’Vale Weston

Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterfly” happens to be his most critically acclaimed album, released on March 16 by Top Dawg Entertainment, Aftermath Entertainment and distributed by Interscope Records.

His style and the flow is unsurpassed and gives me authenticity that cannot be duplicated by any rapper
of today.

“To Pimp a Butterfly” is an honest, fearful and unapologetic album that Lamar has constructed.

Lamar, this supremely gifted rapper delivers another uncompromising and deeply affecting listening experience.

This jazzy dreamlike production and staggering lyrical work grips with weight of his newfound fame.

Lamar use references to the protagonist of Alex Haley’s roots in songs like “King Kunta.” On the other hand, the feverish standout “The Black, the Berry” sees him attack black-on-black crime with singular precision and ferocity.

This has to pass anything that he has ever done.

I honestly see him going very far and opening
new doors.

I love the album, and I think you all should soon take time and listen to it. Maybe it’ll open your mind to listen to Lamar more.

“The album is a work of art and I see it becoming more critically acclaimed as the year progresses, ” said Audrey Brown. “It is some of Kendrick’s best work–he should be proud of the creation that he has done. This album opens up the minds of all those around him, in the community, and in the business. To understand that rap is more than just a modern- day trend, but that it’s about opening your mind; also about changing things around you through a lyrical flow.”

Photo courtesy of Marina and the Diamonds’ website.

Marina and the Diamonds’ “FROOT”

By D’Vale Weston

FROOT is an atmospheric and sophisticated work in which Marina Diamandis, known as Marina and the Diamonds, comes into her own as an artist.

It was released on 13 March 2015 by Neon Gold and Atlantic Records.

“This Afternoon” combined everything that was uniquely tantalizing and pugnaciously feminist about her debut, while also retaining just enough of that enthusiastic pop. Combined with the dance beat of electronic hard music to keep things from getting too serious, there is some serious froot.

This album shows off a variety of versatility from this artist, and she’s not afraid
to show it.

With Marina Diamandis alternative pop sound nothing is unexpected from her both musically and lyrically.

Marina and the Diamonds give you something honest to listen to something that will make you keep coming back.

This album will keep you wanting more and more.

This is nothing like you have ever heard before but something serious and mature for all audiences.

With her 80s electro-infused “Savages” and hip-swaying “Gold,” you’ll love what this alternative album brings to the table.

I personally think it’s worth listening to so if anyone likes alternative Pop, they should most definitely take a listen to this band.

The album is out now, and if you like alternative music, then this is the album for you.

About Jack Lester