Home / College Wide / Lady Jags leave GPC with a jam
Lady Jag, Danielle Clark (#2) looking to pass the ball against the tough defense of South Georgia Tech
on Saturday, Feb. 21. Photo by Ben Abrams.
Lady Jag, Danielle Clark (#2) looking to pass the ball against the tough defense of South Georgia Tech on Saturday, Feb. 21. Photo by Ben Abrams.

Lady Jags leave GPC with a jam

Lady Jag, Danielle Clark (#2) looking to pass the ball against the tough defense of South Georgia Tech on Saturday, Feb. 21. Photo by Ben Abrams.

By: Ben Abrams

The final game played at the Decatur campus was a storybook ending for the Lady Jaguars. After an emotional pre-game ceremony to celebrate the program’s legacy the Lady Jags left the court with a big win over the number two team in the GCAA, South Georgia Tech (88-76) on Saturday.

The big win brings the team’s final record to (15-15) for the year, but (11-7) in the GCAA securing them the number five spot in the postseason conference tournament.

The most crucial stretch of the game for GPC came before and after halftime.

The Lady Jags went on 10-5 run to close out the first half (39-34) and opened the second half with two consecutive three-pointers from guard, Jasmine Cook (#22) which sparked a 15-9 run.

The runs would help put the game out of reach for the Lady Jets as GPC maintained a double-digit lead for most of the second half.

GPC’s win can be attributed to head coach, James Waldon’s strategy to beat SGT along with their athleticism.

“I feel that with the athleticism we have, we can make it difficult for teams to keep up with us,” said Waldon. “If they try they will have to be in good shape, because if they’re not it’ll wear on you.”

Jasmine Robertson (#3), who scored 15 points with six assists explained the goal with their quick offense.

“Run them,” said Robertson. “When we get out and run in transition it’s easier for us.”

Asia Vetters (#10), who had eight assists in the game expanded on the importance of fast breaks in the win.

“There were some times we’ll have three on two or five on four runs, and we have to take advantage of those opportunities You have to know to go to the basket, and do what you have to do to get to the basket,” said Vetters.

GPC also got the best of SGT at the foul line shooting 80% compared to the Lady Jets 69.9%.

The Lady Jags also found a way to effectively neutralize the stellar performance by Lady Jets center, Alexis Armstrong (#10)with the teamwork of team captain Taylor Boyd (#12) and Jennifer Trendi (#21) who together earned 25 points and 11 rebounds.

The Lady Jags also won the three-point contest (24-18) despite the Lady Jets shooting a better percentage from outside the arc.

“We’ve always had good shooters. We’re just taking better shots now, and they’re becoming more patient with their shots,” said Waldon.

The win caps off a four game winning streak to end the season, and gives the team a lot of confidence as they head to the postseason.

“We’re looking for first place, and we’re looking for Kansas. We’re looking for whoever is going on that court, and we’re going to beat their ass,” said Vetters.

As the GCAA tournament is about the start Coach Waldon’s message is simple and clear.

“Just one game at a time. We play Georgia Highlands. We’re going to go up there, and keep doing what we’ve been doing well.” said Waldon.

The Lady Jaguars now leave the Decatur campus and are hungry to continue their momentum into the postseason.

The team’s new goal is to make the final postseason of Lady Jaguars basketball the most memorable one of all time.