Home / Dunwoody / Op-ed: Forget Generation X, This is Generation Cyborg

Op-ed: Forget Generation X, This is Generation Cyborg

Quinn Montoya-Childers, film major at the Dunwoody campus, shows off his ink. Photo by Justin Fredericksen.

By: Justin Fredericksen

There is a bridge between humans and machines that is being crossed.

Digital tattoos are just the beginning of an age where humans and machines communicate as a whole.

Science is now making technology capable of reading our biorhythms and storing the information.

We will rely less on commanding machines and will soon start to program them to interpret our commands through bioelectricity.

Last year, Google/Motorola, released the first generation of digital tattoos. So far, these are only compatible with the MOTO X.

These flexible microchips bind to the skin like a temporary tattoo.

In the near future, accessing our devices will no longer be controlled by typing in a code; we simply pick them up.

Regina Dugan, former director of DARPA, now Vice President of Engineering, Advanced Technology and Projects at Google, said, “Ten to twenty year olds may not want to wear a watch, but you can be sure that they may be far more interested in wearing an electronic tattoo, if only to piss off their parents.”

This technology is being introduced to make our lives easier.

The future of connecting humans to their devices, tracking what we do and storing data collected is a breakthrough in human profiling.

As incredible as this technology is, the question is: why does Google want to store our information in their database, and who will have access to the data collected?

Marketing major Blake Bryant said, “This technology is the next stage in evolution that takes away our privacy. Its every individual’s choice to use this technology, but this seems an unnecessary development. Digital tattoos provide a sense of privacy while storing information.”

The “digital tattoo” is ushering in the age of interlinked human beings and machines.

The shift in marketing being directed at America’s youth is a sign of the times.

Companies are conditioning people at younger ages to rely on technology more and to control the future of industry and data.

The appeal of faster data retrieval has many in the grip of this modern era.

The security surrounding the storage of our personal data has sparked some resistance.

“Privacy is crucial, but is okay with exchanging privacy for the technology as long as the terms are in agreement with keeping information private,” said electrical engineering major Caleb Barrett. “This technology has really good implications and should not be discounted solely based on privacy concerns.”

The possibilities of this technology has great potential to expand the health of our society by assisting us in monitoring our biometric feeds and creating a stronger bond with our devices.

This leaves many wondering whether they are willing to compromise their privacy for convenience.