Home / Clarkston / Staying on your “A Game”

Staying on your “A Game”

Sophomore Charak Sith said, “Sometimes  in between classes I will stop by and do a small workout and then go to class and feel more relieved and my mind is clearer.”  Photo by  Tosin  Ogunnoiki, The Collegian.
Sophomore Charak Sith said, “Sometimes in between classes I will stop by and do a small workout and then go to class and feel more relieved and my mind is clearer.” Photo by Tosin Ogunnoiki, The Collegian.

10 tips for staying fit and healthy while on the go

By Fatou Ndow

For many college students, balancing different aspects of their lives is a struggle especially in the case for those who wish to shed a few pounds and stay fit.

Most college students report that the one of the main issues as to why they do not maintain a healthy lifestyle is because they do not have the extra time to do so.

Keeping fit or losing weight while attending college can be challenging and frustrating at times.

With a little discipline and dedication these fun and simple steps can help jumpstart your way to keeping fit and healthy while you are on the go.

1.  Track yourself  

Using wearable fitness trackers like Fitbit are very much worth the investment as they make you aware of your activity level (or lack thereof) and motivate you to move more and do more.

Research actually shows that tracking your activity and staying motivated to work out helps to shed the pounds and keep you on track.

2. Find a balance

Time management can help you balance workloads, social activities
and private schedules.

Have a simple planner and stick to it as much as you can, this not only helps you reduce the stress but will make you feel more confident and
will more importantly help you get your workout and school work done.

3. Utilize the campus gym

The campus recreation center offers numerous fitness classes such as Zumba, aerobics, yoga and even fitness testing free to all GPC students.

While on a long break before your next class or before heading home you can save some time (and money) by dropping in one of the many workout sessions being offered.

So bring your gear to campus with you so that you may be well prepared to get a good workout in.

4.  Don’t take the shortcut

It may be convenient to find the closest parking spot or taking the fastest route to class, but actually doing the opposite can help you pack in a good exercise on your way.

Take the stairs to  whenever possible and step it up a notch by doing brief, high-intensity interval workouts, fitting in short bursts of running or sprinting exercise throughout the day as you run your errands around campus.

5. Portion it out 

Eating fast and on the go is not always the best idea, HelpGuide.org recommends that students take time to enjoy meals, eat with others and chew food thoroughly, all of which can help with weight management and nutrient retention.

In addition, portion your meals. You do not always have to eat everything that is in front of you; you can always save it for later.

6. Load up on the good stuff

Many college students eat the wrong type of foods and snacks at irregular intervals; some even go as far as neglecting the most important meal of the day, breakfast because they find themselves rushing to class.

A container of yogurt with some chopped fresh fruit and a side of toast is a nutritious and simple breakfast for those on-the-go.

Consider packing light lunches instead of munching on sugar laden bars or junk food and load up on fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains at the campus cafeteria.

Also, the use of free apps like MyFitnessPal or Argus will help you journal your meal habits and can help you plan on where improvements can be made.

7. Keep Hydrated

It is crucial to keep yourself hydrated in order to shed the pounds and stay fit; a bottle of water should always be at hand.

Using a reusable plastic bottle which you can refill at the water stations around campus can be of ease to make sure you get your daily dose of H2O.

If the taste of water gets boring, you can infuse it with your favorite fruits like lemon slices, cucumbers, or berries.

Take it easy on the coffee and sodas, and indulge in coconut water and fresh veggie juices, as they are just as healthy as they are delicious.

8. Sleep!

Along with diet and exercise, sleep can help you study, stay focused and keep fit too.

Research has also shown that dieters who get the rest they need lose more weight, so getting your much needed sleep of about 6-8 hours is another simple way to staying fit.

So think twice about taking that all nighter for that test you have in the morning, and make adequate time to make sure you are well rested.

9. Find a Friend

Everything’s better when you are doing it with someone.

Find a friend who is active or shares your same fitness goals.

They can encourage and inspire you to stick to your goals when you feel the temptation to ditch the good and go for the bad at the drive thru.

10. Make it work for you

A successful exercise routine is slow and steady. Stay on top of your regimen, and stick to what works for you.

Adopt and make way for healthy habits, stay motivated and remember shedding those pounds and staying fit is not a one size fits all.

About Jack Lester