Home / College Wide / Stress: The mental plague
Photo illustration by Joseph Richardson.

Stress: The mental plague

What is stress, and how can students deal with it?

By: Vivan Paudyal

One thing is for certain that stress does not discriminate between children, teenagers, college students or elders, affecting us all in different ways.

Thaddeus Freeman, a psychology major, said, “The inconsistent school work causes stress.”

Freeman suggested sleeping, hanging out with friends, and listening to music as relievers.

Daily life consists of juggling multiple tasks, and there is bound to be stress at some level, not only for students, but for society at large.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) define stress as “the brain’s response to any demand.”

A response is triggered by stressors, either external, internal, real or figment.

The stressors don’t necessarily have to be “negative” or “positive,” simply the demand of awareness or change can be a stimuli.

Stress may be recurring, short-term or long-term. Short-term stress may be anxiety about the first day of school, a job interview, watching a scary movie, watching unfortunate news events or taking an exam. Long-term stress can be health problems, issues at home and work-related stress.

Dealing with stress can avoid serious physiological and psychological problems, both long-term and short-term.

When asked what causes her stress, Monae Pratt, a journalism major, said, “Trying to find a balance between school, working, and maintaining a social life.”

Seems like juggling tasks is not the healthiest method, rather focusing on the present moment is what is.

Balance is key to maintaining a healthy mindset and lifestyle. But just how do we find a balance? Some students indicated a good schedule is a way of better time management.

Chad Andre Till, a biology major suggested, “We should exercise, eat healthy, read outside of school work and incorporate religious values.”

All great ways to manage stress and keep it at bay, although not everyone is affected the same.

Nursing major Jamila Amin said, “I am always happy!”

Although there is stress in all of our lives, it only drags us down if we dwell on the problems, which are temporary in most cases.

Spending time with family and friends, creativity, sports, food, laughter and music were common grounds for those who dealt with stress on campus and at home.

However, if there was no stress there would have probably been a hindrance in evolution of our ancestors.

Evoking the “fight or flight” response in our nervous system, stress was able to habilitate what came next, the evolving of consciousness and at often times, survival.

With some degree of stress in all our lives, it’s important to remember; no pressure, no diamonds.