Home / College Wide / Words of Wisdom

Words of Wisdom

1) Don’t overload yourself with more than what you can handle

You may want to get a lot done, but you have to ask yourself whether it is worth not be able spend quality time with loved ones, or comprise a better grade and/or health.

No one can make decisions for you, so you have to think about the pro’s and con’s of what you’re doing.

Begin to think about the bigger picture here because your decisions not only affect your present but also your future. Even though you maybe in an overwhelming situation, still recognize that you have needs such as proper sleep, family life and entertainment time.

2) Don’t allow yourself to fall into peer pressure

It may seem like everyone else is doing it, but in reality, not everyone is.

There are other people who have a similar mindset as you, so do not let your surroundings mislead you.

If you are going to do something do it because it is what you want, not because of what others are saying or doing.

Whether it’s drugs, sex or anything else, there are consequences to all of our actions.

After all, you’re the one who will live with your choices.

3) Don’t underestimate yourself

It’s okay to be an inner critic, but that should not deteriorate your motivation for things you desire.

Instead, it should help put things in perspective for you, to make improvements and not give up.

4) Build good study habits and find out what works best for you

It will enhance your learning ability.

The more people study, the more familiar they are with the information.

There are several simple techniques.

Students can form study groups, make flash cards and review materials.

Having strong studying skills allow students to improve their memory.

5) Communication is the key

It’s cliche, but it’s also what works if you’re having problems whether it’s school or life in general.

Understand that if you’re not being expressive, then people will end up making more assumptions about you.

What you might think is obvious is not necessarily obvious to other people.

The professor may just assume you understand the material because you didn’t ask questions.

If you have any questions and concerns, let them know. They are here to help you, not intimidate you.

Sometimes people can do things that upset you but not know until you confront it.

If you confront it, there’s at least a better chance of them learning from their mistakes.

6) Tik tok, you’re on the clock: Time management

It’s important to know how to manage your time not only so you can get things done, but because it also affects other people in the process.

You want things to go smoothly not the other way around.

You don’t want people to think you’re not dependable, because then you can lose a lot of great chances.

Please submit any letters for a response to gpc.collegian@gmail.com.

About Jack Lester

GPC Decatur Garden, Photo by Sammy Lyons.

Decatur Garden serves students and community

The community garden on the Decatur campus is a positive place that can help the …